Author Topic: Avast opens by itself after computer wakes up from sleep  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Isadora11

Avast opens by itself after computer wakes up from sleep
« on: December 05, 2019, 07:48:36 PM »
Hi,

I'm running the 1903 version of Windows 10 Pro, and I've noticed that, sometimes, when I wake up my computer from sleep, it will randomly open the Avast user interface on the default "Status" screen. This has happened twice now in a few months, and I think I remember seeing this behavior on an older computer of mine, but I'm not entirely sure. Is this normal, or should I do some investigating? I've already scanned all my files for virus/malware with both Avast and Malwarebytes and did not find anything unusual. I should also mention that i've had to repair my Avast installation at least three different times in the last few months because it keeps breaking somehow and Windows won't even recognize that I have it as my active anti-virus (I only noticed this because I noticed I had Windows Defender active as my main anti-virus despite having Avast installed, and was only able to "deactivate" Windows Defender by repairing my Avast installation).

Additional information: I'm using the free version of Avast (19.8.2393, build 19.8.4793.544) and it seems to be working normally, aside from these minor issues. Also, I'm not sure if this is at all relevant or has any connection to it, but I remember hovering my cursor over the Avast icon on my taskbar a few moments before putting my computer on sleep mode, but I didn't click on it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 07:52:06 PM by Isadora11 »

Offline jvidal

Re: Avast opens by itself after computer wakes up from sleep
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 06:10:40 AM »
I confirm, something very similar happens to me, not waking up from sleep, but when booting the PC, the UI appears by itself.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 11:17:53 AM »
I think I have witnessed just one occurance of this behaviour myself, after startup and opening FF browser. It was at time Avast UI updated to later version, so don't know if that was the cause, or maybe was something I did, but was unexpected at the time. I now have UI 1.0.435.

Offline Isadora11

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 05:35:34 PM »
I think I have witnessed just one occurance of this behaviour myself, after startup and opening FF browser. It was at time Avast UI updated to later version, so don't know if that was the cause, or maybe was something I did, but was unexpected at the time. I now have UI 1.0.435.

I could be wrong, but I think it's natural for Avast to open the next time you boot up after it updates. Mine always does when it asks for me to reboot. This makes me wonder if it's possible that a background update may cause Avast to open by itself after the computer wakes up from sleep and it "resumes" updating? At any rate, I'm just a bit worried if this could be a signal of something bad or dangerous, it's not particularly bothersome so I don't really mind if it's just a regular error.

Offline Isadora11

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 03:13:09 PM »
Hi, sorry for posting again, I'd just like to know if anyone on the forum can offer any suggestions/ideas about this. It hasn't happened again, but I did some digging and realized I have Avast configured to run a smart scan every month, just a few hours after the time my Avast interface opened itself. However, I'm not sure if the scan's time is set according to my local timezone (it's a really odd time, something like 2:28 AM), or if it tried to run before but was unable to due to me putting the computer to sleep, and so it rescheduled itself to a later date. Is it possible that the monthly smart scan function can make Avast open itself? I don't even remember ever seeing Avast running this scan on its own.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 03:40:39 PM »
I have never used scheduled scans myself, but this has caught out other users that were not aware they had setup a scheduled scan and were then surprised by its occurrance. Check this out:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=230949.msg1528458#msg1528458

Offline CentroStampa

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 06:54:14 PM »
Chiedo il rimborso totale dell'abbonamento in quanto non sono soddisfatto del software.
e inoltre siete dei truffatori, per richiedere il rimborso bisogna chiamare in america e la telefonata dall'italia costa di piĆ¹ che l'abbonamento, furbi e truffatori

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 06:58:59 PM »
Please post here in English, otherwise find your own language section here:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=21.0