Author Topic: Complete failure  (Read 2322 times)

Offline fishswimthesea

Complete failure
« on: December 07, 2019, 07:33:37 AM »
Avast completely failed today without any reason. I was not doing anything unusual - just typical personal computer stuff. This is the second time in a month it has failed. I tried the Repair function this time, but it did not accomplish anything useful. It does not inspire confidence when "security" software suddenly fails to work at all.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 03:02:57 PM by fishswimthesea »
Avast Free Antivirus - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

Offline Ilie I.

• Got rogue
Re: Complete failure
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 08:34:37 AM »
Had you tried to reinstall Windows? If not, I recommend to do this.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 10:04:00 AM »
Had you tried to reinstall Windows? If not, I recommend to do this.

Sorry but I can't agree with this suggestion, it is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Avast completely failed today without any reason or warning. I was not doing anything unusual - just typical personal computer stuff. This is the second time in a month it has failed. I tried the Repair function this time, but it did not accomplish anything useful. It does not inspire confidence when "security" software all of a sudden fails to work at all.

By completely failed what do you mean, were there any warnings/error messages, if so what ?
What else have you tried to resolve it ?

What Avast version are you using, avast! free 19.8.2393 (build 19.8.4793.544) being the latest version ?

Have you tried a clean reinstall of Avast ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline fishswimthesea

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 03:01:39 PM »
The operating system is fine. I keep it updated and access the internet primarily through a user account, not the administrator account, so the probability of anything happening to the operating system is very remote. Erasing the hard drive and reinstalling the operating system would be an excessive solution.

The only warning was Avast suddenly said my computer was no longer protected. From that point on Avast did not work in any way. I check avast once a month to see if an update is available, so I would have had the September update. So, this meant an uninstall and reinstall. I did a clean reinstall with the uninstall utility (avastclear.exe). My frustration is that this is the second time this has happened in the past month. It takes about a half hour to uninstall and reinstall, including three restarts for the uninstall, the reinstall, and restoring the settings. It's such a waste of time.
Avast Free Antivirus - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 03:56:04 PM »
Yes the 18.8.2393 version was the September release.

Some people with win7 have experienced some issues, but none that I can recall matching your issue.

I'm at a bit of a loss as what else to suggest as I'm no longer using any system with win7 as the OS.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 04:58:18 PM »
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?

PS: You can export/import your settings (screenshot).
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 06:15:21 PM »
PS: You can export/import your settings (screenshot).
Asyn's screenshot except English Language.

@fishswimthesea: Is your machine disconnected from internet for periods that may cover updates.
What exact error message do you see from Avast?