Author Topic: Activation of AVAST Free software  (Read 2200 times)

Offline kennypc6612

Activation of AVAST Free software
« on: December 09, 2019, 01:01:01 PM »
Hello.  I'm a user of Avast Free Antivirus software and I would like to know how to activate my software for the standard 1 year free subscription with my current version of Avast free.  I'm noticing the current version installs with an automatic 30day activation, then proceeds to show a daily nag screen to activate my software, but I need to make the "right" choice.  If I choose to go with the "Free" software, no activation takes place and I am nagged on a daily basis.  My alternative is to choose to trial a premium product I'm not interested in.

I would like to know how to activate my Avast Free product like in the past, or report and ask that Avast fix their activation screen because it is not working. This is not an isolated incident.

Thank you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline kennypc6612

Re: Activation of AVAST Free software
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 04:17:58 PM »
That's a "no sh*t" response.  Never activates, stays in the same condition as unactivated after selecting "free edition". Did you even read what I posted?  I'll just reinstall and wait another 30 days, because that was no help.

Offline kennypc6612

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 04:53:53 PM »
To follow up; I removed avast, ran the avastclear uninstall tool and reinstalled.  Followed your activation instructions that I already know how to follow and can report that your product fails to activate the free version, stays in whatever current activation state its in (mine is now reset to 30days, but prior would never re-activate or acquire the traditional 1 year free activation).

I'm going to consider Avast a daily nagware product and move my thousands of customers and daily PC sales from your product with the recommendation that its nagware and pursue AVG, Avira or Sophos as an alternative until you have this fixed.  I understand you wish to market your premium software to your free software customers, but in Avast's current broke state of not activating without providing daily nagware, or as far as I understand may not even be functioning at all after 30 days, I can no longer use or recommend your product.

I look forward to a human response and this problem being resolved.

To re-iterate, the Avast Free software NEVER ACTIVATES when choosing the "Avast Free" when being presented the option for activation.

Thank you, and look forward to seeing this problem resolved.

Further detail; This is on a Win10 64bit system w/ Avast Free Edition.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 05:27:06 PM »
I'm going to consider Avast a daily nagware product and move my thousands of customers and daily PC sales from your product with the recommendation that its nagware and pursue AVG, Avira or Sophos as an alternative until you have this fixed.

Avast and AVG become one  >>  https://blog.avast.com/avast-and-avg-become-one

Offline kennypc6612

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 11:53:42 PM »
Okie dokie, I went with Avira.  Thank you. :)

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 12:29:25 PM »
Hi,

The free version is indeed a free version. By default, after downloading and installing AV, it is valid for 30days.
You then have to "Upgrade"/"Activate" in order to extend your free version to 1year (following the steps as outlined here:https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Activate-Free-Antivirus/)
No need to re-install.
@kennypc6612
Could you attach some screenshots of the steps you take and the screens you are presented with?

Offline kennypc6612

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 12:23:45 PM »
No, as I don't presently have the product installed. I follow the instructions that are needless because it's self explanatory and something I've done numerous times, but when you are presented with choosing the Free product or the Premium Trial when clicking on the Activation button within the program the program simply closes the screen out of the activation procedure and continues on as if nothing has happend, which is indeed what happens. If within the 30 trial period it remains as such as if nothing happend, if after the 30 day trial remains as such as if nothing happend and proceeds to present the notification and product activation screen on a daily basis that I have still not chosen to activate my product and that if only I make the "right choice" will the product activate. It would appear to me that choosing the "Free" activation isn't the right choice, and as such no longer provided an activation after 30 days.

I have uninstalled the product and used the avastclear removal tool and reinstalled with no change or success. I also notice that since my last avast removal (without removal tool) the avast overseer exe still remains and attempts to communicate over the internet; funny for an uninstalled product thats this old to leave behind executables that continue to run and communicate over the internet.  Let me know when you get those things fixed, there isn't much other input from me that would help.

At best or worst I have a better understanding why many of my customers complain about my choice of antivirus and their insistance that it wouldn't run without asking them for money, this has simply been a validation procedure that as of late I have been making the wrong choice.

Thank you for the user pointing out that AVG would not be a good alternative and am presently trying out Avira.

Have a good day.