Author Topic: The system cannot find the file specified.  (Read 17646 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: The system cannot find the file specified.
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2006, 10:01:57 PM »
As far as I know there have been significant changes in the way version 4.7.871 handles the servers.def, and respective problems related with it.

V871 contains defensive algorithms there are used when the servers.def file is detected to be trashed. So, in reality, there should never be a reason to manually download this file any more.

Is the original poster using build 871?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2006, 10:54:37 PM »
Vlk,

thanks for the clarification.  My user was on 871 with this problem.

kubecj,

I do not want to make this personal - I did not call you names.  I said and I will repeat more clearly that you give me the impression that you are casually unconcerned about this issue.  Perhaps we will have to disagree on our respective readings of the problem reports in this forum and I will accept that you must have folks reporting comprehensive problem analyses.   

8/19/2006 8:36:23 AM   general      InvalidateCurrent: invalidated server 'Download32 AVAST server' from 'main'
8/19/2006 8:36:23 AM   general      SelectCurrent: selected server 'Download30 AVAST server' from 'main'
8/19/2006 8:36:23 AM   package      GetPackages - set proxy for inet
8/19/2006 8:36:23 AM   internet      SYNCER: Type: use IE settings
8/19/2006 8:36:23 AM   internet      SYNCER: Auth: another authentication, use WinInet
8/19/2006 8:36:25 AM   package      ERROR:GetInetFile, CreateFile( "I:\Temp\_av_proI.tm~a02696\dld1.tmp") returned 0x00000002

I am not sure how you would deduce from this entry in the error log that there was a DNS error return.  Even if there was a DNS error for every server then (good grief) the point is do not tell the average user that you have DNS errors.
Put your DNS errors in the log by all means (why not say that in the log by the way?).   

Tell the average user that there is a problem in plain simple terms that will make some sense to the user.     

There is _one_ known problem in avast's updater

Great, then I assume you guys are working on it - but it is the unknown problems you need to be looking out for isn't it?

Just a thought - at startup there is no DNS cache yet, at the back of my mind I recall something about a limit on the number of outstanding DNS queries that are allowed.  If that is the case and avast is contending with all the other startup programs and running at "below normal" priority isn't avast more likely to be the one getting DNS errors? 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 10:58:21 PM by alanrf »

kubecj

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2006, 11:15:49 PM »
8/19/2006 8:36:23 AM   general      InvalidateCurrent: invalidated server 'Download32 AVAST server' from 'main'
8/19/2006 8:36:23 AM   general      SelectCurrent: selected server 'Download30 AVAST server' from 'main'
8/19/2006 8:36:23 AM   internet      SYNCER: Auth: another authentication, use WinInet
8/19/2006 8:36:25 AM   package      ERROR:GetInetFile, CreateFile( "I:\Temp\_av_proI.tm~a02696\dld1.tmp") returned 0x00000002

I am not sure how you would deduce from this entry in the error log that there was a DNS error return.

Nope, this log is different to the one you've posted previously. This definitely says that user can't write to I:\Temp\_av_proI.tm~a02696. Not sure why.

Tell the average user that there is a problem in plain simple terms that will make some sense to the user.     
If Windows internet library does not tell me, I can't tell you. There may be 1000 and 1 error why I didn't get the file from the source (and since the source in self-extract file is equivalent to the 'internet' source, the error messages must be sometimes the same).

Look, the installer/updater/uninstaller is the part of avast! everybody uses. It's therefore the most intensive 'user tested' part of avast!. As the Vlk said, the servers.def problem should be fixed now, so right now there is 0 known (and reported) problem in the updater. Yeah, there may be the cosmetic bugs (saying file not found instead of getting great lengths to know what Wininet didn't like), but these do not pose 'problem' in using the program, therefore their 'fixing priority' is low.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2006, 11:52:30 PM »

I am not sure how you would deduce from this entry in the error log that there was a DNS error return.

Nope, this log is different to the one you've posted previously. This definitely says that user can't write to I:\Temp\_av_proI.tm~a02696. Not sure why.

My guess would be a misconfigured TEMP folder.
But if you weren't using those stupid runtime functions, but rather Windows API directly, you'd get a (slightly) better error code :P

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2006, 11:59:24 PM »
This is the temp folder that has been used with avast by this user for in excess of a year and is the system temp folder.  Avast is also installed on the I: drive and seems to have no problem writing (its error log for example) there. 

Can you be clearer about the "stupid runtime functions" please?

By the way precisely the same error log is to be found posted in June by a user in the avast Swiss forum ... the only difference is the drive is C: and the temp file is using the windows defined defaults for placement of the temp folder. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 12:05:29 AM by alanrf »

kubecj

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 12:05:45 AM »
My guess would be a misconfigured TEMP folder.
But if you weren't using those stupid runtime functions, but rather Windows API directly, you'd get a (slightly) better error code :P

Ha ha ha.  :P
Cross checked the runtime, wouldn't get anything more interesting anyway. Would lose easy cross-compiling on other systems though (and without the need of hundreds of #ifdef). Big deal.  ::)

Alanrf, the 'runtime part' of igor's msg was pointed to me  ;)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2006, 12:11:43 AM »
Then slap Igor for not supporting the team ... and I'll give him kudos for honesty.

By the way, I think you are still misunderstanding my point about the error message. 

I'm not asking that you tailor an error message to the user for every error condition, your logs are clearly the place for the error reporting details. 

But the net here is that (for whatever reason) avast could not connect to any server  to get the update.

So a simple "avast could not connect to the internet" would be a lot clearer as a "coverall" to the user than the error messages now.

That's all.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2006, 12:22:04 AM »
Cross checked the runtime, wouldn't get anything more interesting anyway.

Well, you'd distinguish between "File not found" and "Path not found" at least.

But the net here is that (for whatever reason) avast could not connect to any serverĀ  to get the update.

Not in your case I think - it seems like a misconfigured %TEMP%.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2006, 12:36:34 AM »
No it is not a misconfigured temp.

This is the temp folder that has been used with avast by this user for in excess of a year and is the system temp folder.  Avast is also installed on the I: drive and seems to have no problem writing (its error log for example) there.

Edit:  I just connected remotely to this user's system.  avast is still installed on the I: drive and avast's webshlock.txt file was created successfully at the last system start and is in the I:\Temp folder which is defined in the WinXP system variables as the temp folder location.   All the user's system starts since the problem have been without errors from avast, but I did have him edit the avast4.ini file to delay the avs update process to 90 seconds after the incident occurred.

By the way precisely the same error log is to be found posted in June by a user in the avast Swiss forum ... the only difference is the drive is C: and the temp file is using the windows defined defaults for placement of the temp folder.

http://forum.avast.ch/viewtopic.php?p=22&sid=384604c7fdf2476812623a0abcc062f7
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 01:37:09 AM by alanrf »

jmarkt

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2006, 04:09:44 PM »
All of this was "then", and this is "now".  Sixteen months later, I have version 4.7-892, and everytime I reboot, I get the dreaded red box that says "Cannot find specified file."

As an uninformed user, all this tells me is Avast isn't working because there's a file either missing or unavailable.  Can you be a little more specific?

In reading the forum, this is apparently an ongoing problem?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2006, 06:17:42 PM »
As an uninformed user, all this tells me is Avast isn't working because there's a file either missing or unavailable.  Can you be a little more specific?
Can you update? Manually, automatically? Every time or just you can't after login?
Against what are you complaining?
The best things in life are free.

jmarkt

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2006, 09:32:26 PM »
The program is "complaining"...that it "cannot find the specified file"...whatever that is?  I don't know if it's not automatically updating or what.  I assume the red warning window isn't a good thing, but it doesn't give me a clue as to what to do about it.

Are you suggesting it's OK to simply ignore the problem?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2006, 11:16:25 PM »
I assume the red warning window isn't a good thing
It's not. You're not able to update  :'(

but it doesn't give me a clue as to what to do about it.
Basically, check:

1) If the servers.def file is corrupt or 0KB (C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\servers.def).
    You can try and download the servers.def file, http://files.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def and replace the one in the avast setup folder.

2) If your subscription allows the update right now (i.e., if it is not expired).

3) If your firewall settings and allow avast.setup to connect.
    If you're not sure, just turn off your firewall (to be sure the update failure is not due to it).
    Maybe you should 'remove' avast.setup entry, try to update, receiving a new alert from the firewall, allowing it and checking it to remember.

4)  Check your proxy settings into avast!:
     Left click the avast icon > Settings
     Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy
     Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu).
     If it doesn't help, try switching from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).
     You can run proxycfg -d in a DOS window to make your computer connect direct, without proxy. You can run proxycfg -h for help.

Are you suggesting it's OK to simply ignore the problem?
For sure not... you need to update...
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2006, 12:14:02 AM »
jmarkt

any change in the status of your problem?