Author Topic: Vista RC1 x86 and Avast - not working  (Read 121056 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Vista 5536 and Avast - not working
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2006, 12:18:22 AM »
The bug will not be present in the real RC1 build. That is, the driver will NOT be blocked in Vista RC1, and avast WILL work. I have this confirmed from MS (I had a phonecall with responsible people yesterday).

As a matter of fact, they were very polite, probably realizing that if this happened with a RELEASE build of Windows, we could actually SUE them for this!

Greetings from Madeira,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

stmckin

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2006, 01:18:33 AM »
DavidR,  thanks... but I didn't say it was Avast's fault... it clearly is MS's.... but from the customer perspective, it really doesn't matter whose fault it is, it doesn't work......I've dealt with MS before on stuff like this and know where it can lead unless the third party (Avast) pushes it all the way through

Vlk, thanks for the additional info, I'll try moving back when RC1 comes out...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2006, 01:55:42 AM »
Quote from: stmckin
DavidR,  thanks... but I didn't say it was Avast's fault... it clearly is MS's....

Whilst there is no direct blame (to me it read like it was implied, sorry) there is heavy onus for "avast dudes" to sort it "emergency" when they are in the hands of MS. I would hate to be in their position waiting for MS to pull their finger out and resolve the problem. I'm sure the Alwil team their pulling their hair out and no mater how much they shout they still have to wait for MS to fix it (easy remove the block) and release the next build which MS will do in their own good time along with the other fixes that are scheduled for the next build.

Quote from: stmckin
Avast dudes: this is an emergency... you've got two builds in a row where the product doesn't work and MS is going to release RC1 and start printing a zillion DVDs any second......  love your product and want to use it... but if I can't test the environment, I can't put it on machines when Vista goes gold....
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DAKz

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2006, 03:06:59 AM »
My problem is worst! Avast that I have used on all other versions wont even install, I get a window telling me that this software is incompatible with this version of windows, I clicked on the  button to find a solution and for the last hor I get a message saying "avast! antivirus is blocked due to compatibility problems" and it has been searching the internet for a solution for more then an hour now, guess what no solution yet. If your gonna install Vista 5536 on Monday then please post what antivirus software you are using on it so we can get some protection out here!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2006, 09:52:32 AM »
If you read the previous posts in this thread, you'll find out that your problem is exactly the same as the one described here. The problem is in the current builds of Vista - so the only solution is to wait for Microsoft to fix it for the next builds.

BarryBGB

« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2006, 09:36:40 AM »
OK, so now we know that AVAST will not load because of MS blocking. MS would love to have you purchase their RECOMMENDED virus scanner which is not blocked however. Maybe MS intentionally blocked this driver knowing that they could not be sued until the final public release of RC1.
Anyway, it is good to know that AVG will work in the mean time.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2006, 09:58:52 AM »
I really doubt that Microsoft deliberately blocked avast as part of any strategy and left AVG working.  Let's get real here.  The Redmond team do make plain simple mistakes from time to time just as all of us in the IT business do.

Recent experience in this forum in avast beta updates makes me wonder if some of the folks who play in the beta world really understand what they are getting into.  Playing with betas means that you will experience problems - some of which you will have to wait a while for a fix. 

Don't whine when this happens (and that is what some are doing here) - if you cannot deal with these issues don't play with non-production releases of software.   

Juztrax

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2006, 05:29:22 PM »
Hi guys I just installed VISTA build 5552 RC1 and am getting the same problem with my avast pro 4.7.869.0 how ever if I right click on the icon in the tsk bar and click "start avast anti virus I get the same message as posted before "software is incompatible with this version of windows", however I can then choose to run it anyway and it runs. But the Online Virus Protection will definately wont work at all.  This is serious!!!  :o

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2006, 05:41:15 PM »
Hi guys I just installed VISTA build 5552 RC1 and am getting the same problem with my avast pro 4.7.869.0 how ever if I right click on the icon in the tsk bar and click "start avast anti virus I get the same message as posted before "software is incompatible with this version of windows", however I can then choose to run it anyway and it runs. But the Online Virus Protection will definately wont work at all.  This is serious!!!  :o
Then kick up a stink via any vista beta problem reporting method, whilst MS have acknowledged the fault is theirs, the more that complain the quicker MS are likely to push out another build as they said they would to rectify the error of blocking avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2006, 08:28:09 PM »
Then kick up a stink via any vista beta problem reporting method, whilst MS have acknowledged the fault is theirs, the more that complain the quicker MS are likely to push out another build as they said they would to rectify the error of blocking avast.
Is there a form (or a link to it) to complain?
An email address?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2006, 08:49:52 PM »
Previously beta testers had access to report bugs, the whole point of beta testing I would have thought that there would have been something for the Consumer Preview and or pre-RC1 versions, etc.

A google search returns many hits a couple of blogs, etc. which may reveal more information http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vista+beta+test+bug+reporting

However, it is like trying to find a needle in a haystack to try and report a vista bug.

Fernando 1

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2006, 10:11:00 PM »
Vista RC1 (Build 5600) is out for betatesters. So we will see, if MS enabled the installation of the Avast drivers.

Fernando 1

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2006, 02:10:53 AM »
Avast! does not work with Vista RC1!
I just have tested it- the same thing as with Build 5536.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2006, 04:09:40 AM »
Avast! does not work with Vista RC1!
I just have tested it- the same thing as with Build 5536.
Do you mean 5600 is useless for avast?  >:( :(
Sometimes we come very upset with MS  >:( :(
The best things in life are free.

Fernando 1

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2006, 08:18:54 AM »
Do you mean 5600 is useless for avast?  >:( :(
Yes, exactly this is what I mean.
The needed Avast driver is still blocked by Vista RC1 (=Build 5600).