Author Topic: Self-Defense Exclusions wrt Barrier  (Read 1510 times)

Offline LordInateur

Self-Defense Exclusions wrt Barrier
« on: December 12, 2019, 09:08:09 AM »
Let me start off by saying that I've been using Avast for many years and have loved using it so far; I tend to recommend it over other antimalware software when people ask.

I've run into some issues recently with the Avast Self-Defense module. I'm using Avast Free Antivirus, currently version 19.8.2393 build 19.8.4793.544 (September 19, 2019) and Avast Secure Browser (version 77.2.2152.121). I'm trying out a piece of software called "Barrier" (GitHub debauchee/barrier release version 2.3.2) as a virtual docking station so that I can share my laptop's mouse and keyboard with my desktop. (I think that Barrier is supposed to be a fork of Synergy). It seems to work with every other application except for Avast-related applications; when I try to click on the browser through my laptop, or on the Avast settings panel through my laptop, the connection abruptly ends. I'm pretty certain that this is because of the Self-Defense module, because when I disable the Self-Defense module the Barrier application starts working flawlessly. I've run into this sort of thing before when I had to kill Avast Secure Browser with Process Explorer (procexp)--I couldn't kill the application until I disabled the Self-Defense module (works as intended, huzzah).

My question is this: is there a way that I can add an exclusion to the Self-Defense module? I really don't want to keep it disabled. I haven't purchased the firewall addon with paid versions of Avast, so I can't add exclusions there; I've added exclusions to various realtime shields, with no effect. I looked around at other forum topics about this but I can't really seem to find any (my Google-fu needs to be better, I guess).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Self-Defense Exclusions wrt Barrier
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 09:12:20 AM »
My question is this: is there a way that I can add an exclusion to the Self-Defense module?
No, afaik.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 10:38:35 AM »
As you say you have a paid version of Avast, have you raised a support ticket to Avast to see if they can help you with your problem?
https://support.avast.com/contact
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 10:41:14 AM by rocksteady »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 10:54:36 AM »
As you say you have a paid version of Avast...
Hi, I may correct you, he's running the free version.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0