Author Topic: Avast and Comodo Firewall issue  (Read 4468 times)

Nnyan

Avast and Comodo Firewall issue
« on: August 25, 2006, 08:30:26 PM »
Hello,

Just installed Comodo Firewall and it is having a problem with Avast.  After much uninstalling and rebooting I narrowed the problem down to a conflict between these two.  Basically what happens is that when they are both installed my pc takes 30-40 mins to boot up.  This is after the network login, it craws applying profile and getting to the desktop.

Remove either one of these and it boots fine.  I am a strong supporter of Avast but there are other AV programs out there that are equal.  Very few good free Firewalls out there if you can't use ZoneAlarm.

Anyone know of this issue and a fix for it?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast and Comodo Firewall issue
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 08:41:11 PM »
Strange...
I have Comodo and avast and they won't conflict... one is a firewall and the other just an antivirus. They shouldn't conflit.
Is there any other information in Windows Events or in avast logs that could help us to debug this?
The best things in life are free.

Nnyan

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 08:46:33 PM »
I know this was surprising since i tested comodo first on one PC and it worked fine and that has Avast too. 

Thinking about it these two PCs that are having the problem have Outlook 2003 where the other PC using Thunderbird.  I've also had issues in the past with Avast hanging on boot and it was that the mail scanner was "stuck".

Other then that thats the only difference between the one that has  both working fine and the two that do not.

soon as i can get back into one of these i'll review the logs and post.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 09:15:21 PM »
I've also had issues in the past with Avast hanging on boot and it was that the mail scanner was "stuck".
Any other firewall installed at that time? Any other antivirus installed in the past in this computer? Other security program?

Nnyan

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 10:38:15 PM »
If i remember correctly I think it was ZoneAlarm and I found a post saying that AV had some issues with large attachments or something like that.

Nnyan

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 12:13:58 AM »
Ok if I add the avast .exe files to Comodo manually and turn off advanced security checks then they get along fine (slightly slower boot but within reason).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 04:42:00 AM »
Ok if I add the avast .exe files to Comodo manually and turn off advanced security checks then they get along fine (slightly slower boot but within reason).
Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable)

Don't need rights to connect:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)

hari_the_barbarian

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 05:27:18 AM »
yeah im just confirming i had to go thru the extremely slow bootup when i installed Comodo Personal Firewall on Avast home edition. both were the latest builds. I do hope both manage to get along in the near future as they are excellent freeware products.

testy

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 05:43:59 AM »
Why would Avast be scanning e-mails on boot?  Is this what your implying? This doesn't make sense.  I'm using Avast and the Beta Comodo 2.3 and have no conflicts.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 06:34:45 AM »
I recently tested the Comodo firewall on my system along with avast and experienced no significant issues.  A number of other users on this forum have also recommended their experience with Comodo too.