Author Topic: ZoneAlarm incompatibility  (Read 25778 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: ZoneAlarm incompatibility
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2006, 01:38:56 AM »
Short of an official response, if we ignore the web shield transparent proxy for a minute and concentrate the variable ZoneAlarmCompatibility and its two values, 0 and 1, Zero 0 usually means off and One 1 usually means on.

So what are we switching on or off, the ZoneAlarmCompatibility, so how do we achieve this compatibility with ZA Pro, by disabling the web shield proxy.
With ZoneAlarmCompatibility=1, enable compatibility with ZA Pro we must disable the web shield proxy.
With ZoneAlarmCompatibility=0 we don't need to enable compatibility with ZA Pro, so we don't need to disable the web shield proxy. So we effectively maintain the status quo and leave the web shield proxy on (default setting), so we don't really need the ZoneAlarmCompatibility=0 line entry because it changes nothing from the web shield default.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2006, 02:29:08 AM »
I know you are waiting for official alwil confirmation but you know I cannot resist checking it.

I just fired up my other machine which has avast and ZA free on it. It has been a week or two since I did so I updated to avast 871 to be sure. 

My avast4.ini setting is (and always has been):

ZoneAlarmCompatibility=0

and I have transparent scanning of my browsers (Firefox and IE).

Just to complete the test I deleted the line from the avast4.ini and restarted my system.  As expected I got the popup window asking the ZoneAlarm Question. I responded "No" and the line:

ZoneAlarmCompatibility=0

was inserted into the avast4.ini file. 

I have to infer, but have not tested, that responding "Yes" would have inserted the line:

ZoneAlarmCompatibility=1

and I would need to set up a manual proxy. 

To the best of my recollection the advice in the past, if someone felt they had answered the question incorrectly, was to delete the line, restart the system to get the question again and try to answer correctly this time.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 02:30:55 AM by alanrf »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2006, 02:35:54 AM »
By the way, to confirm David's logic two posts above.

When I set up my new system I intended to install ZA free on it.  I have not done so but I did insert the line:

ZoneAlarmCompatibility=0

into my avast4.ini in anticipation. 

I have had no issues with transparent scanning by avast of the browsers on this machine.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2006, 05:16:26 AM »
avast4.ini file thread was completely updated.
Not only the ZoneAlarmCompatibility value (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg15960#msg15960), but new ones were added, default values set to the correct values  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Mew

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2006, 11:27:42 AM »
I will stay with this line : ZoneAlarmCompatibility=0
It seems that the line is automatically added if ZA is detected, and take the values 0 or 1 depending of the answer given (1 for "yes" and 0 for "no"), if it's not detected, there is no entry in the .ini file.

I wanted to thank you a last time for your help !! Avast is a very good antivirus software, it's free and there is a so helpfull community here on this forum that I'm happy having chosen Avast !!!

lovelyperson

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2006, 11:00:53 PM »
Avast is a very good antivirus software, it's free and there is a so helpfull community here on this forum that I'm happy having chosen Avast !!!

;) Exactly, same here.

Any queries....normally answered by reading the threads/'search' facility....no need to clutter the forum!

Thanks to all here.