Author Topic: possible phishing  (Read 4219 times)

Offline mabbatx

possible phishing
« on: December 14, 2019, 10:14:37 PM »
Did you insert a message in firefox offering to add a new add-on?
Or is this a phishing which it looks like?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: possible phishing
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 11:34:00 AM »
Post a screenshot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline mabbatx

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 08:40:49 PM »
Waste of time! I am simply asking Avast Did you or did you not put in the request?.
Surely you at avast know whether you did,or did not! Just answer, please.
This is the only way I can contact avast and there is no room for third party intervention

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 08:43:29 PM »
@Asyn does not work for avast

A screenshot would help, then we can see what you see   ;)

Offline mabbatx

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 10:26:26 PM »
You do not need to see it. Either Avast sent such a message or did not.
I am not going to continue with this having to spend half an hour each time decyphering idiotically written letters after hearing unclear reading.
If I do not get a clear reply (well before the current year changes), I will publish that I received such a message and avast refused to confirm or deny that it was genuine.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 11:07:45 PM »
Hi mabbatx,

You can contact avast av solution here after the weekend with your urgent 'questionnaire'  ;D
Here in the forums you are barking at the wrong tree, as we here are the avast support forums,
run by volunteers under oversight by avast team, and we haven't a clue what you are on about.

Most folks that reply here aren't avast team members, so for directly contact avast's,
see: https://www.avast.com/contacts

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 11:26:54 PM »
Hi mabbatx,

Could also have been because of fraudulent actions, for instance:
-https://shehrozpc.com/avast-secureline-vpn-license-key-crack/

And there also could be a possibility that trough phishing such scam is also a PHISH inside Eretz Israel.
But again best answers will come directly from avast's contact address.

שָׁלוֹם

polonus (volunteer 3rd party cold recon website security analyst and website error-hunter)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 11:29:57 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 12:12:43 AM »
Waste of time! I am simply asking Avast Did you or did you not put in the request?.
<snip>

The only way anyone can answer you is to know what it is that you have seen.

I too am an avast user, I don't use any of the avast browser add-ons/extensions and I certainly haven't received any message in firefox offering a new add-on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 12:08:32 PM »
I am not going to continue with this having to spend half an hour each time decyphering idiotically written letters after hearing unclear reading.
Captcha is only needed for your first 3 posts. (Spam protection)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline mabbatx

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 04:55:16 PM »
In that case I reply.
1. I can get no direct contact to Avast. The link takes me back, the only way to get help is via the forum. Never mind.
2. David's answer seems to make it clear, the message was certainly phishing. If it had been genuine he would have seen it.
A useful warning to everyone.
I just checked and the message has disappeared. Good that I did not click to ‘allow’ the add-on, which was obviously false.
Topic closed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 05:21:29 PM »
<snip>
2. David's answer seems to make it clear, the message was certainly phishing. If it had been genuine he would have seen it.
I just checked and the message has disappeared. Good that I did not click to ‘allow’ the add-on, which was obviously false.
Topic closed.

With hundreds of millions of Avast Users, it could be a potential target for phishing (in the same way as other very large companies).  I just wonder if Avast would have alerted when installing this add-on or any untoward activity (likely) by said add-on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 05:42:32 PM »
In that case I reply.
1. I can get no direct contact to Avast. The link takes me back, the only way to get help is via the forum. Never mind.
Topic closed.

Ladies and gentlemen, we found "Karen" or "Kyle" in the wild...

Explanation: https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/karen/

If you're unwilling to provide volunteers with the information we require to confirm (or deny) it's a genuine Avast! warning... then it's on you, not us, and not Avast!. We dozens of years of experience between us, there is a reason why we're here. Anyone with thousands of posts over years of being on the forums likely knows the answer to your question, or the way to fast track your question if we don't.

Almost all major forums (Malwarebytes, AVG, Norton, McAfee, etc) all have teams of volunteers who serve the exact role we do here. This is true for most industries, I might add. If Avast! had a problem with us assisting you, we wouldn't be here in the first place (either we'd leave, or we'd be banned. Given neither happened... and that we interact with Avast! staff, I'm guessing we're OK).

That being said, I'm glad your issue is now resolved.

Asyn: Has been a member since 2010. (9 years)
Pondus: member since '08 (11 years)
Polonus: Member since '04 (16 years of experience himself... on these forums alone).
DavidR: Member since '04 (16 years of experience himself... on these forums alone).
Me: Member since 2013 - 6 years

Avast! explicitly states on their contact form that the people you deal with here are experienced members of the Avast! Community.

One last smash here.

Did you insert a message in firefox offering to add a new add-on?
Or is this a phishing which it looks like?

The irony of your comments is amusing to me. Unclear being the phishing thing you keep speaking about that you cannot describe, or be bothered to post a screenshot for.

VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.