Author Topic: "Allow usage data to be shared" always reverts to enabled  (Read 12675 times)

Offline francocos

Re: "Allow usage data to be shared" always reverts to enabled
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 09:05:42 PM »
Doesn't look good when you have articles like this

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7948373/Anti-virus-company-Avast-winding-subsidiary-sold-millions-users-sensitive-web-data.html

and yet they have still yet to fix this issues. Should be a simple fix but yet there it is. Still enabled and still collecting. No respect and honour= Rubbish company ethos with greed.

I really don't get a company that got caught red handed with data collection and they have yet to fix this. My opinion is that this is not a bug and they continue to collect information. I hope I can speak for the majority and say that all information should be deleted ASAP. Disgraceful and shameful that companies can get away with this. With European GDPR law we have a clear mandate of what information has been collected and should be deleted from your servers. I can assume you have a hidden policy that bypasses this .

I have removed all of your products and I really do hope that you get prosecuted for this blatant misuse of trust.

We must stand up to these companies and I'm afraid AVAST is one that must be accountable for this disgraceful actions.

You have lost my trust from the early days with my security.

Open source is the only way to go. Can't trust any !!!!!

Took a screen shot and see how long this post get's deleted.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 09:24:14 PM by francocos »

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2020, 01:13:51 PM »
Hello francocos,
While I understand your frustration, Avast was open and transparent about what is going on from the very beginning. Our CEO apologised and closed the whole business that was being questioned - please read https://blog.avast.com/a-message-from-ceo-ondrej-vlcek

However lets get back to the MacAV :
I'll repeat myself - Mac Antivirus aka Avast Security (including Premium Security, of course) has never ever shared any data with any 3rd party to allow analyse your browsing. We are using only one 3rd party tool - Google Analytics that is used to track users usage of the AV user interface.

With all the respect, I doubt that any AV will go "open source" way. I'm a huge open source fan but in this cat-mouse game with cybercriminals it would be a dead end with only one winner. And unfortunately, those would be the bad guys.
Quality is also a feature.

Offline drake145

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2020, 04:20:44 PM »
Dennis46 - Lukas had already advised earlier this month that this would be fixed in the next release.

Lukas - Do you have an estimate on when the next update might be released?

Offline Mike ALA

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2020, 02:17:48 AM »

I'll repeat myself - Mac Antivirus aka Avast Security (including Premium Security, of course) has never ever shared any data with any 3rd party to allow analyse your browsing. We are using only one 3rd party tool - Google Analytics that is used to track users usage of the AV user interface.

Why does the option to opt-in sharing your data exist then?

Offline zaigon

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2020, 08:55:11 AM »

With all the respect, I doubt that any AV will go "open source" way. I'm a huge open source fan but in this cat-mouse game with cybercriminals it would be a dead end with only one winner. And unfortunately, those would be the bad guys.

Have you ever heard of Clam AntiVirus (ClamAV)? It is a free software, cross-platform and open-source antivirus software.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2020, 11:34:47 AM »
Have you ever heard of Clam AntiVirus (ClamAV)? It is a free software, cross-platform and open-source antivirus software.
Well, that's most probably the reason why its detection rates are miserable.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2020, 01:57:58 PM »

Why does the option to opt-in sharing your data exist then?
Because when GDPR came, we have taken the same options as Windows version (as provided by our legal team) in a hurry and added them there so that if we ever needed them, they would be there (with user already having a chance to modify them). In 14.4 we will remove all options that are not really used and relabel the checkboxes to be more specific for the rest.

Regarding the checkbox reverts, the fix should get out shortly in a hotfix. We apologise, it has been triggered by an unrelated license logic change which interacted with the relevant code, and our testers unfortunately did not catch it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 05:29:32 PM by ondrej.kolacek »

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2020, 03:13:32 PM »
We released a new version that should fix the issue of the reverting "Allow usage data". We removed this option as MacAV never shared data with Jumpshot. The whole layout of Privacy tab in Preferences was changed to make it more understandable for users.
There is new option "Share app-usage data with 3rd-party analytics tools to improve this app." that should turn on/off sending of user interface usage to Google Analytics (GA).

Please make sure that you have version 14.3 (c3875f8ddaf9) - see list of changes at https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=210570.msg1429568#msg1429568

Offline guillaumelou

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2020, 04:17:01 PM »
It works ! thanks

Offline Silvo2

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2020, 11:58:32 PM »
I have disabled automatic updates, but it has updated anyway to 14.3 and enabled Share app usage with Avast, under privacy. Also please beware, your privacy settings are ignored for other subproducts, so basically they are still screwing you.

Avast is NOT trustworthy. Spreading FUD with WiFi inspector, Ransomware, forced updates, FUD notifications for uneducated people.

Come on, I just do not believe that this is a bug. It is just an intentional introduction of a bug, so you are not responsible for oops... we just did it. You have no excuse to steal our private data and sell it.

I am migrating all our user base to alternative.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2020, 12:20:04 AM »
I have disabled automatic updates, but it has updated anyway to 14.3 and enabled Share app usage with Avast, under privacy. Also please beware, your privacy settings are ignored for other subproducts, so basically they are still screwing you.

Avast is NOT trustworthy. Spreading FUD with WiFi inspector, Ransomware, forced updates, FUD notifications for uneducated people.

Come on, I just do not believe that this is a bug. It is just an intentional introduction of a bug, so you are not responsible for oops... we just did it. You have no excuse to steal our private data and sell it.

There is no forced update. There are emergency updates to address security concerns.
It's your computer and has always been your choice.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline guillaumelou

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2020, 12:40:03 PM »

Hi,

I have done the latest update from yesterday and when you untick a box concerning privacy and what you want to be or not shared, it doesn't reset ticked by default whenyou restart your computer....with Avast 14.3 (c3875f8ddaf9). the latest update from yesterday. Maybe you don't have the last one. If you make a manual update it will work. You can also download the last version here : http://mac-av.u.avcdn.net/mac-av/10_10/AAFM/avast_security_online.dmg

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2020, 01:40:55 PM »
Silvio2, I assume that it's too late to ask you about logs however if unchecked the "Turn on automatic updates" in Preferences > general then the product will not update automatically. However it will update when you hit UPDATE NOW button.

I'd like to emphasise that our MacAV hasn't been collecting any data.