Author Topic: Avast slows down the Chrome browser on MAC on a MacBook Pro  (Read 3762 times)

Offline cryellow1

Avast slows down the Chrome browser on MAC on a MacBook Pro
« on: December 22, 2019, 05:20:19 AM »
I have been trying to figure out the culprit for months.  Chrome browser runs fast on my MacBook Pro (MBP) for a period of time, and then starts loading pages VERY slowly.  When this happens, Safari and Firefox remain fast.  In fact, when this happens even comparing load speed on Chrome with no proxy engaged, versus load speed on Firefox with two layers of proxy engaged, is STILL much slower on Chrome.

When Chrome slows down like that, about the only solution is a complete restart of the MBP.  Then the Chrome browser is fast again, until it eventually slows down again.

It appears that the culprit is AVAST.  Disable its Web shield, and Chrome browser resumes lightning speed.  However I need to keep testing to make sure that AVAST really is the culprit.  Not certain yet.

I have had this issue both on a top of the line 2018 MacBook Pro, and now on a new top of the line 2019 Macbook Pro 16 inch.  Had this issue running latest Mojave, and now with the latest Catalina.  In all cases always running the latest updated Chrome for OS X.

What is strange is that I have not seen this issue with Chrome browser and AVAST on my iMac Pro or iMac Retina, only on the MacBook Pro running Chrome and AVAST. 

For now, I am keeping AVAST Web shield disabled on the MBP.  For the MBP I may need to try AVG, but I have read some threads online about how AVG too slows down Chrome.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 06:43:25 AM by cryellow1 »

Offline YYZGB

Re: Avast slows down the Chrome browser on MAC on a MacBook Pro
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 02:13:03 AM »
I run Avast and Chrome (among other browsers) and do not see any slowdown in any of my browsers. I also run a MBP and am running OS Mojove.