Author Topic: Avast Free - Doesn't let Outlook 2007 Connect to Server  (Read 5023 times)

REDACTED

Avast Free - Doesn't let Outlook 2007 Connect to Server
« on: April 24, 2015, 07:06:19 AM »
Hi Everyone,
From yesterday morning, the Avast Free on my old laptop suddenly stopped Outlook 2007 from connecting to the server to retrieve e-mails.

It took me a while to figure this out. Initially I thought there might have been a server issue, but when I checked Webmail in a browser, it had no problem accessing them. I then went to my main computer which has Avast Pro and Outlook 2010, and it worked fine in retrieving e-mails.

So now I have to disable Avast Free shields for 10 minutes in order for my Outlook 2007 to work.
I used to be able to find a setting in Avast Free that allowed me to set scanning of incoming and outgoing emails, but I can't locate it anymore.

Does anybody else have this problem?
Regards,
Renato

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Free - Doesn't let Outlook 2007 Connect to Server
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 02:18:26 PM »
Things in the mail scanning have changed in the latest avast versions. (especially when using ssl)
This means you will need to setup your email account correctly in Outlook.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 03:17:58 PM »
Things in the mail scanning have changed in the latest avast versions. (especially when using ssl)

MS Outlook is a somewhat different issue, in that it has an avast Plug-in, were avast is working from within MS Outlook. So the email account settings in MS Outlook should remain the same.

Unlike other email clients where avast is working from outside the email client using the Mail Shield. In which case the user may need to export the security certificate and then import it into the email client. As far as I'm aware this doesn't need to be done in MS Outlook.

@ Renato1
Whilst I don't use MS Outlook, if it is the Mail Shield (that you disabled) scanning your email then it sounds like your avast plug/add-in within Outlook that is disabled. Check your Outlook settings:
- Outlook 2007 > Tools > Trust center > Add-ins > Manage Disabled items.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 07:00:23 PM »

Thanks - but the email account is set up correctly. With the shields disabled everything works fine.
Cheers,
Renato

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 07:03:50 PM »

MS Outlook is a somewhat different issue, in that it has an avast Plug-in, were avast is working from within MS Outlook. So the email account settings in MS Outlook should remain the same.

Unlike other email clients where avast is working from outside the email client using the Mail Shield. In which case the user may need to export the security certificate and then import it into the email client. As far as I'm aware this doesn't need to be done in MS Outlook.

@ Renato1
Whilst I don't use MS Outlook, if it is the Mail Shield (that you disabled) scanning your email then it sounds like your avast plug/add-in within Outlook that is disabled. Check your Outlook settings:
- Outlook 2007 > Tools > Trust center > Add-ins > Manage Disabled items.
Thanks for the explanation. I checked the location you gave me and it shows Avast as active rather than disabled.
Regards,
Renato

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 07:05:57 PM »
https://support.quovadisglobal.com/KB/a65/how-do-i-install-my-digital-certificate-into-outlook-2007.aspx

Thanks, but I'm not sure what the digital certificate has to do with this issue. I've never used one, and if suddenly it was an issue I'd have though Outlook would have told me so.
Cheers,
Renato

Offline edialechu

Avast Free - Security Alert connect to server Outlook 2007
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 03:51:42 PM »
Hi
I have a problem in Outlook 2007 with the certificate legacy.pop.mail.yahoo.com.When I open Outlook throws this error  "it cant verify the certificate the target principal name is incorrect"
I attach three attachments where you can see in the third attachment that the problem is on two items use of the password (encryption) and basic restrictions. This certificate is new 14/11/19- 13/05/20

The problem began with this new certificate. I will be grateful if you help me.

Many thanks

Edith

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 04:46:40 PM »
Hi,

This is an outlook/ email service provider issue.
You need to make sure that your mail settings in Outlook are as follows:
Incoming mail server: legacy.pop.mail.yahoo.com
Outgoing mail server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Offline edialechu

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 06:33:02 PM »
I have the configuration like you say. The problem began since this new certificate.If I try to import this certificate
To internet explorer trust root certificate section it throws the same error that cant validate and there is a problem with encryption.
Nevertheless the avast web/mail shield root certificate appears ok.

Offline edialechu

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 02:42:24 PM »
The problem persists with yahoo account. Please if you help me I will be very grateful.

Many thanks!