Author Topic: Warning popup about visible location  (Read 3280 times)

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
Warning popup about visible location
« on: December 29, 2019, 05:11:54 PM »
I received an Avast popup warning that my location is visible.  The map showed Pembury in Kent.  This is worrying.  How did Avast know that I was born there?
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.3.6108, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Warning popup about visible location
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 05:58:34 PM »
Your IP is available to many sources, Avast is just making you aware of this in the hope that you will purchase the Avast VPN product.

If your IP is known then it is a very simple task to show where that IP physically is.  However, that information is likely to be incorrect also, as it is usually the IP assigned by your ISP.  Your IP connected to this forum isn't in Kent ;)

Personally I don't really care who knows what my IP is as it isn't a fixed IP address but one assigned by my ISP.  What anyone can do with this information, I would say is debatable.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 11:45:28 PM »
Sorry David.  I first saw the light of day at 4.40pm on a spring day in Pembury when oast houses were not the ornaments that they are now and Kent was a rural county and not the urban spread it is today.  I was slightly taken aback that insignificant Pembury was bang in the centre of the little map on the popup.  Not bad for a Wiganer to be a Man of Kent (Pembury is east of the Medway, just).

I repeat my previous assertions that I would not willingly use an alternative to the excellent Avast security software.  A very happy New Year to you.  I miss Agnitum Outpost.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 11:49:09 PM by loungehake »
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.3.6108, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 01:56:38 AM »
Interesting; small world - I was born in Pembury too a long, long time ago but lived all my early life west of the Medway.

I've been identified as located all over the country by weather forecasting tools supposedly providing me with local weather information from my IP address, most typically in various parts of London. Only once have I seen it get it right.

Would have spooked me too if Pembury had come up because I know someone who has spent a lot of time there recently for other reasons.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 02:47:36 AM »
Sorry David.  I first saw the light of day at 4.40pm on a spring day in Pembury when oast houses were not the ornaments that they are now and Kent was a rural county and not the urban spread it is today.  I was slightly taken aback that insignificant Pembury was bang in the centre of the little map on the popup.  Not bad for a Wiganer to be a Man of Kent (Pembury is east of the Medway, just).

I repeat my previous assertions that I would not willingly use an alternative to the excellent Avast security software.  A very happy New Year to you.  I miss Agnitum Outpost.

A happy coincidence then on the location.  Basically you have to ignore any such ads for other paid options for Avast, the price of free as they say.

I was based in Kent (Maidstone) for 2 years but for much of that time I lived in Headcorn (on an Airfield, Parachute Club).

Well I still have Outpost Firewall Pro 9.3 on my XP Pro system, but that is currently kaput Video Card/Cable/Monitor issue and I haven't had time to investigate it and not just throw money at the problem.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanb

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 04:44:04 PM »

...I haven't had time to investigate it and not just throw money at the problem...

Perhaps the good folk of Pembury would have a whip-round for you...  ;D ;D