Author Topic: Memory & Process Kill problems  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Alwilda

Memory & Process Kill problems
« on: December 30, 2019, 03:28:06 AM »
Win7 Home Premium (installation Jan 2019). 16GB Ram.
Avast Browser is current.

When i open AvastBrowser it launches over a dozen processes (AvastBrowser.exe),
Open a couple of tabs and start browsing and this starts more processes.
Firefox and IE opens less, Opera (see below) one for each tab and a couple of extra's.

Right now, on my system, I have IE open with 1 page = 2 processes,  Firefox open with 3 tabs, = 6 processes, Opera 38 tabs, ~42 processes,
Avast 1 page = 15 processes. 1 page.

Firefox and IE will allow me to open a dozen or more tabs each, without locking up my system.
Opera has a minimum of 36 tabs open when i launch it, pages i go to every day, that's how i roll, and Opera gives me No issues.

Firefox can be problematic, even with popups blocked, it likes to run the little advertising or news video popups on pages in the background. The ones that dont open their own instance, they piggy back "floating" over the parent page. That very quickly hogs the memory and grinds my system to a halt.

Avast has its own story,
Even If Avast is the only browser open after a half dozen active tabs the system noticeably slows, if I am not paying enough attention and open too many more my system locks up.
Memory usage does Not seem overly excessive, it is on a par with Firefox, but the number of processes is excessive.
And it seems Avast processes might have priority over everything else, even system processes?

It can take several minutes to close Avast down one tab at a time, attempting to close multiple tabs seems to hang on something and they never close.

Normally I would open Task Manager* and kill the running process, that is what i do when Firefox or IE hiccups on bad website scripts.
But with Avast, I dont have permission and I cant seem to give myself permission either.
^thought i should bold that, just to emphasize How Very Annoying that is^

On more than one occasion Avast has required a hard shutdown of the entire system, up to 15 minutes after I started trying to close Avast I still had no control of the system.

*note (I never, ever, need to use Task Manager to close Opera)

Offline Misha Zekovova

• Quality Assurance Engineer
  • Avast team
Re: Memory & Process Kill problems
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 02:01:10 PM »
Hi Alwilda,
thank you for reporting this. Can you please send me here your Diagnostic information of the browser?

- Open the browser and click on the menu icon (3 dots)
- Click on "Help and About Avast Secure Browser" and then "About Avast Secure Browser"
- Click on "Diagnostic Information" (this will open a pop-up window)
- Click the "COPY TO CLIPBOARD" button to capture the information

Also the Avast Browser is guarded by our Avast Antivirus. If you want to kill Browser's processes with Task Manager, you'll have to disable Avast self-defense module (Avast Antivirus -> Settings -> Troubleshooting -> Enable self-defense), but I really don't recommend you to use this as a long-term solution. We are also working hard on a new release version which could also solve this memory problem.