Author Topic: New Year promotional alerts  (Read 846 times)

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
New Year promotional alerts
« on: January 01, 2020, 11:12:09 AM »
The New Year was rung in with a yellow alert triangle with exclamation mark and for what?  A new level of promotional security alert.  Happy New Year from Avast marketing.

The yellow warning triangle has been reduced to an advertising tool.  By all means Avast use the blue spot to indicate information to inform the user but please do not abuse the customer by hijacking the yellow alert triangle which ought only to be used seriously for genuine warnings which MUST be taken notice of.
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.3.6108, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: New Year promotional alerts
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 02:37:48 PM »
Not seen on my system !
I guess you're just lucky ;)

I take it that you're talking about the tray icon ?
EDIT: typo.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 02:49:24 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
Re: New Year promotional alerts
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 03:32:49 PM »
I have only seen a single appearance of what I described.  The lack of subsequent appearances might mean that it was an aberration.

When a 'caution' signal is displayed in the system tray Avast icon, it should be attended to without delay.  It might indicate that a shield is down or another malfunction which is impairing the protection given by Avast.  I am on constant alert to the possibility of security incidents.  To show this caution signal without proper cause is to mess the user around and so make her/him more vulnerable to social engineering.

The blue spot would reasonably be taken as a low priority information alert and I am now accustomed to that

I regret not having had the presence of mind to capture the screen image of the 'aberration'.  If it happens again, I will pounce on it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 06:05:05 PM by loungehake »
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.3.6108, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware