Author Topic: PUP detected in Filezilla  (Read 3762 times)

Offline simbador

PUP detected in Filezilla
« on: December 21, 2019, 07:32:35 PM »
Hi everyone,

so I accidentally downloaded the bundled version of Filezilla and Avast flagged it as a PUP.
After some research, I realized that the standard version of Filezilla comes bundled with some Adware.

My question is the following: What could possibly be the damage to my system?
I am not keen on reinstalling MacOs if it is not really necessary.
Avast detected the Adware after I agreed to the license in the Filezilla installer.
I tried to move the file to the Virus chest, however, Avast reported some problem while moving the file.
But the setup process was disrupted and did not continue. Furthermore, the logo of Filezilla to start the installation was overlayed with the stop sign of Avast.
Afterward, I performed a complete scan with Avast and it displayed the .dmg file again and I successfully resolved the issue. The file was moved to the virus chest. Another scan did not find anything and stated that my Mac is secure.
So to come back to my initial question: How does Avast work on Mac? Is it possible that some malware has been installed during the launch of the .dmg file? Or did Avast prevent anything from happening? I did not provide my root password for the setup assistant!

Kind regards
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 07:42:37 PM by simbador »

Offline Vladimirz

• Avast team
Re: PUP detected in Filezilla
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 08:27:45 PM »
Hi. Yes FileZilla offers some adware in their bundled version, we blocked just installer, not applications. If you need clean installation try version from Appstore, or macos version from here: https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?show_all=1
Your procedure looks good, some errors may occured, for example if another process hold malicious file (and non root permissions are used).

ZV
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 08:32:35 PM by Vladimirz »