Author Topic: Slow loading at start up and continuing rotating ball after Virus scan.  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Dennis46

Hello,

I have two issues with Avast 14.3.  First, it take almost 1 minute for the program to load.  I have an iMac 27in using Mojave 10.14.6 with 1TB HHD and 32 GB of Ram.  I have it set up so that Avast in in my top menu when the computer starts up.  Once I turn on my iMac all the other menu items load quickly, but it takes an addition minute for Avast to load.  This did not happen with version 13.  It would load right up.  I've uninstalled and reinstall twice, but it still takes forever to load.  Second, after doing a deep scan and then clicking on "See Results"  nothing happens and I get the rotating color ball.  The only way to stop it is to Force Quit Avast.  Any help would be greatly appreciated to solve these 2 issues.

Dennis

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: Slow loading at start up and continuing rotating ball after Virus scan.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 02:21:19 PM »
Hello,

thanks for the feedback.

Regarding startup, please note that Avast AV is not a single application, but it consists of multiple daemon processes that do the actual work and a GUI process which also provides the tray icon. The daemons are started before the user even logs in. Due to the newer (and inherently more complex) technology used for the new GUI and the fact that version 14 does no longer have an additional, super small, tray app, startup time of GUI will be slower in the new version. This should however not impact your protection, as it is independent on GUI. In general we do not optimise for computer startup time as most users suspend their computer instead. I guess some optimisation of GUI startup time is possible, but we have a huge backlog of tasks to do and I am afraid it won't be done any time soon :(

Regarding scan results of deep scan, I will forward this to our testers.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline Dennis46

Re: Slow loading at start up and continuing rotating ball after Virus scan.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 12:08:12 AM »
Hi Ondrej,

Thanks for getting back to me on this very much appreciated.  I guess I'm not sure why my iMac would load much slower than my Macbook Pro.  Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Dennis