Author Topic: Lost Ball icon  (Read 5600 times)

mrfixit504

Lost Ball icon
« on: January 17, 2004, 03:33:32 PM »
All of a sudden I lost the ball in the tray.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Lost Ball icon
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 05:24:29 PM »
All of a sudden I lost the ball in the tray.

Does it disappear even after boot?
Which is your OS? (In Windows XP you must have ashDisp.exe running).
Did you use any Registry cleaning, or ad-aware, spybot and so on... I mean, any program that can clean (or delete) your startup itens?  ;)
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 11:47:03 PM »
Mr.fixit,

May I ask WHICH ball you no longer have in the tray?

If you do not have the "i" ball, right click on the "a" ball and see if you have "Merge into Avast icon" checked.

If so, uncheck it.  Avast can merge the two icons into one to clear up the tray.

IF the "a" icon is missing, then try to activate Avast from the Start menu folder.

If you know how, open up the Start.ini file using the MSCONFIG utility.  Do you see the file Ashdisp.exe?

Lastly, let me know what OS you are using so I can clearly explain any necessary steps.

Thank you for asking for our help,
techie

Gwen

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 06:50:29 AM »
Mr.fixit,

May I ask WHICH ball you no longer have in the tray?

If so, uncheck it.  Avast can merge the two icons into one to clear up the tray.

I suspect this may very well be the problem. Sometimes it's the simplest things that vex us the most, "Techie101".  :)

If you know how, open up the Start.ini file using the MSCONFIG utility.  Do you see the file Ashdisp.exe?
Oooooh, I wouldn't go fooling around with your .ini file...or your .outie for that matter,  or even "Miss Config." Your 'puter might not be too thrilled given you are "Tech101"..I'd wait until I was at least at Tech403 level...But's that's just me.  ;D

Really, try the first suggestion.  Highly unusual for a programme to disappear from the taskbar, next to the clock.  Tad suspicious.

techie101

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 06:14:11 PM »
Gwen,

A quick lesson on using "quotes"
Begin the quoted section with "quote" in brackets and end it with /quote in brackets.  Your reply goes next.  This makes it easier for us to read.

Next, my "level" as you seem to refer to it.....is not 101.
That's my age.  A lot of knowledge in my head so watch it!   ;D

We will need to see how Mrfixit answers before we can figure out what is actually going on with his computer.

There is nothing wrong with modifying the Avast.ini as long as you can follow instructions.  MSCONFIG is only a view utility and does nothing unless the user goes into one of the 'tabs" and plays around.

I agree with you that no one should blindly mess with any .ini file, but that is why we are here.

WE CAN SEE!   ::)

Thanks for the comments,
techie101

Ignorance is bliss.....So I guess we are all very happy  ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 06:17:41 PM by techie101 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 08:14:23 PM »
To configure avast4.ini file, nothing is better than this  ;D

Hey, mrfixit504, did you succeed on correcting the problem?
Thanks techie and gwen for comming...

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 08:49:33 PM »
I have also noticed this a few times lately (last time today).
I (a) icon disappears, and when I try to start "ashserv.exe" (presuming that avast! has stopped) I get an avast! ball icon with a small red dot. If I try to enter the avast! setup from the icon I get "wrong password" even if it's right!

I run Win98se. Problem disappears if I boot, but reoccurs from time to time - and an anti-virus that suddenly stops....

Update:  Strange. Not long after the avast! icon disappeared ZoneAlarm shut down as well (red icon with yellow X) and when I open ZA it says "system error, please reboot". What is happening?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 08:53:11 PM by Lars-Erik »
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 09:21:55 PM »
Is it possible to say when does the problem occur? After some specific operation, after a long work on the computer... during the work... or even by itself, shortly by the boot... ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 01:30:58 AM »
Update:  Strange. Not long after the avast! icon disappeared ZoneAlarm shut down as well (red icon with yellow X) and when I open ZA it says "system error, please reboot". What is happening?

If ZA hangs (formely True Vector Engine) a lot of trouble of accessing will happen, even to your own HDD. You can colapse some applications (like avast) or the entire system. Which version of ZA are you using? The new one seems to be more stable (4.5.538).  :-\