Author Topic: Please help, I can't uninstall Avast  (Read 7062 times)

Offline Megan35

Please help, I can't uninstall Avast
« on: January 08, 2020, 01:55:07 PM »
I tried to install Avast earlier today, but apparently I had another version installed a few years ago.  I'm getting an error. "Avast is already installed, please uninstall the previous version first."  But I cannot for the life of me find any remnant of it.  Not in the Library logs or applications folder. 

I need to install virus protection to sign into my work account and until I get whatever is preventing Avast from reinstalling off my computer, I can't do that.  I've tried everything I can find on the forum.  This is really frustrating.  Please, someone, help?

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: Please help, I can't uninstall Avast
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 03:25:03 PM »
Hello,
this should fix the problem:

Code: [Select]
sudo rm -r /Applications/Avast.app
sudo rm -r /Library/Application\ Support/Avast
sudo rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.avast.*
sudo rm /Library/LaunchAgents/com.avast.*
sudo reboot

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline Mason23

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 01:21:23 AM »
Hi,

In addition to your list, is there a way to get rid of /Library/StagedExtensions/Applications/Avast.app that is left behind after uninstall process?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 04:04:33 PM »
Hello,

maybe something like this could help:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46535279/what-is-library-stagedextensions-for-and-how-to-remove-extensions
AFAIK that directory contains kernel extensions that are in process of being loaded; I usually see our kext there when it can not get loaded, eg. due to wrong access rights. I guess restart of Mac could maybe also help.
In general it should be irrelevant that it is there; the remove commands I have posted are meant to get rid of some kind of weird remains of Avast AV so that it can be installed again, otherwise follow the official uninstall steps here: https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/Uninstall-Mac-Security

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline stonesourcery

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 07:59:01 AM »
Hello,
this should fix the problem:

Code: [Select]
sudo rm -r /Applications/Avast.app
sudo rm -r /Library/Application\ Support/Avast
sudo rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.avast.*
sudo rm /Library/LaunchAgents/com.avast.*
sudo reboot
this actually worked for me even though I had incorrectly uninstalled Avast and was trying to reinstall the free version. even though terminal reported that it couldn't find the files I was searching for - it apparently did
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek