Author Topic: Full HARDDRIVE  (Read 5424 times)

Offline Pako7

• Poster
  • 18 years with Avast and i still recommend it
Full HARDDRIVE
« on: December 11, 2019, 04:24:48 PM »
Hello fam isn't there anyway Cleanup would help me fix thing bug i have been having where by my Hardrive would just lose memory on its one?? once complained about the issue but i thought i had a solution for it but seems like i was wrong because it has come back after a few weeks or a month or so .

My complaint is here : https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=229957.msg1523237#msg1523237

Cant cleanup help Delete this temp files and so forth on it own? Just asking for help
WinXP ProSP3/ Core2Duo E8300/ 16GB Ram/ avast! Premire 20.3.2405 (Build 20.3.5200.561) / Chromium Edge Version 81.0.416.72 (Official build) (64-bit), Avast Cleanup ,avast! mobile security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Full HARDDRIVE
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 05:09:20 PM »
Cleanup, would never get to the root cause, it is just clearing up after the crap has accumulated. 

You need to determine what is responsible for the mess/junk.
You have to identify what folder is really causing the problem and what program is dumping there (you would have to identify the file types to see if there is a clue as to what program they are associated with.

Looking at the image in your other topic, Windows isn't very clear what the location is other than saying Temporary Files.

But for me you really need to 'Manage' the Document files 142GB is ridiculous.  If you have a problem with this computer you could lose 142GB of documents.  You really need to consider backing up this to an off-line HDD/SDD and keep multiple copies.  Then perhaps you can remove very old copies of documents from your system as you would have backups.

Windows Explorer as has a clean-up function (Right Click context menu) Properties > General tab > Disc Clean-up, but you have to be sure what options you tick.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pako7

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 06:10:31 PM »
Ok Sir Thank you soo Much
WinXP ProSP3/ Core2Duo E8300/ 16GB Ram/ avast! Premire 20.3.2405 (Build 20.3.5200.561) / Chromium Edge Version 81.0.416.72 (Official build) (64-bit), Avast Cleanup ,avast! mobile security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 09:28:43 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pako7

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 05:17:43 PM »
Does this have an effect on why my Laptop Blinks while its on?? te screan would sometimes go black and il have a notification stating that display driver failed to work

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 05:52:09 PM »
Not really enough to go on, my laptop does this, but there are many checks going onn with your system.

Not to mention streaming updates, which could be one of these actions, then you have other programs checking for updates, depending on your settings nd finally don't forget windows update.

Offline Pako7

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 01:14:24 PM »

Yah this Laptop has been misbehaving lately .. and also having quite a number of issues .  so some updates may be the course?

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 06:51:31 PM »
Hi Pako7,

In your other topic (https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=229957.0) you mentioned you have ?Avast? Cleanup installed. 

Just wondering if you've run this program before and not allowed it to finish to completion.  If you've done that, you shouldn't.

If you did, then the amount of free space would be next to nil on your hard drive.  Avast Cleanup needs to write files to the hard drive in the Temporary files folder and will fill up your hard drive as it does so.  This is normal behavior.

If Avast Cleanup is not allowed to complete (interrupted by user or cancelled) and thus automatically remove all junk files when finished you will wind up with a mess on your hands and no free space.  Guaranteed.  Every time.

(Avast should warn all users that using this program has risks and the process of cleaning the hard drive will sometimes take hours or even days, depending and not to interrupt the cleaning process.  They also should say to be prepared to not use your system at all while Cleanup is doing it's thing.  Cleaning a 1TB drive of junk files is going to take some time just because it is so large.) 

Patience is needed here.

Solution:  Move your files off the hard drive to offline as DavidR suggests, else always allow Cleanup to finish.   

If running this program on a laptop, run it on AC power until done.

I use Windows Disk Cleanup myself with no issues.  Let it finish.

[EDIT:]  As for the blinking display, that's the video display driver falling down and restarting.  Just worked on a laptop that had the same issue and the fix was to go to the vendor's website and update to the latest video driver.  Some laptops have a vendor program built-in that will automatically update drivers and features but you've to run that manually and reboot. 

Just don't update the BIOS unless you know what you are doing.  You can brick your system if it doesn't work out.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 07:00:51 PM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 02:44:44 PM »
Hi Pako7,

In your other topic (https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=229957.0) you mentioned you have ?Avast? Cleanup installed. 

Just wondering if you've run this program before and not allowed it to finish to completion.  If you've done that, you shouldn't.

If you did, then the amount of free space would be next to nil on your hard drive.  Avast Cleanup needs to write files to the hard drive in the Temporary files folder and will fill up your hard drive as it does so.  This is normal behavior.

If Avast Cleanup is not allowed to complete (interrupted by user or cancelled) and thus automatically remove all junk files when finished you will wind up with a mess on your hands and no free space.  Guaranteed.  Every time.

(Avast should warn all users that using this program has risks and the process of cleaning the hard drive will sometimes take hours or even days, depending and not to interrupt the cleaning process.  They also should say to be prepared to not use your system at all while Cleanup is doing it's thing.  Cleaning a 1TB drive of junk files is going to take some time just because it is so large.) 

Patience is needed here.

Solution:  Move your files off the hard drive to offline as DavidR suggests, else always allow Cleanup to finish.   

If running this program on a laptop, run it on AC power until done.

I use Windows Disk Cleanup myself with no issues.  Let it finish.

[EDIT:]  As for the blinking display, that's the video display driver falling down and restarting.  Just worked on a laptop that had the same issue and the fix was to go to the vendor's website and update to the latest video driver.  Some laptops have a vendor program built-in that will automatically update drivers and features but you've to run that manually and reboot. 

Just don't update the BIOS unless you know what you are doing.  You can brick your system if it doesn't work out.

Hi,

thank you for your insight, I definitely agree and we also recommend it, to let the cleaning process finished if possible.

However let me correct the part about the cancelled cleaning process in Avast Cleanup and how it behaves then and what happens on the background.

In fact it is pretty safe to cancel it even when it is not finished (although we recommend to let it finished as you also mentioned a couple times, it is always better), but if you want to cancel it no matter what, you can do it without any harm done.
Our product does not create any additional files in the temp folder or anywhere else during the cleaning process apart from logging what happened "under the hood", so what really happens when you cancel it is that there will be a couple KBs of logs plus the leftover files which have not been cleaned up to the point when you cancelled the cleaning process. But everything else which was marked as to be deleted during the cleaning as was successfully deleted up to the point when you cancelled it, will be already gone.

I hope it explains a bit how the product works and what you can expect if you cancel the cleaning.

Regards.

Offline Pako7

• Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 10:20:49 PM »
Yes Sir i know it does not leave anything in the Temp Folder ...i thought  there wasa way for clean Up to reach the TempFolder then it cleans it up