Author Topic: Avast AV Free compatibility with RootsMagic (database software)  (Read 827 times)

Offline beegolden

Avast AV Free compatibility with RootsMagic (database software)
« on: January 10, 2020, 04:26:22 AM »
RootsMagic is a reputable software database program for genealogy research. One of it's features is exchanging data (TreeShare) with my family tree on Ancestry.com. For example, I add an image to an individual. Then run TreeShare to add it to this individual in my family tree on Ancestry.com. But the image is not shown as new and so nothing is uploaded. The problem also occurs when trying to update my RootsMagic tree with a new image from Ancestry.com. The problem does not exist if just a fact is being shared, but seems dependent upon images.

This problem appears to be related to my installing Avast AV Free since that's the only change I've made to my computer.

I've added extensions in my Avast for both the RootsMagic database program path and the url for Ancestry.com, but the problem persists.

I've been in touch with the RootsMagic tech folk and their suggestions so far haven't helped, so I thought I'd ask here. No other user in their forum has reported a problem, so it appears to be at 'my end.'

All assistance is appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 04:52:15 AM by beegolden »
Win 7 SP1 64-bit; Avast, Free

Offline beegolden

Re: Avast AV Free compatibility with RootsMagic (database software)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 05:45:35 AM »
Update: I went into Passive Mode (restarted my computer) and RootsMagic works fine. Clearly there's an issue of compatibility. I would have thought adding the exceptions would have allowed RootsMagic to work properly, but for some reason it didn't.
Thanks for any assistance!

Offline beegolden

Re: Avast AV Free compatibility with RootsMagic (database software)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 04:13:49 PM »
oh well, Avast is causing other problems as well so am uninstalling it. Thanks anyway