Author Topic: Advast home edition on two computers  (Read 12123 times)

Johnd

Advast home edition on two computers
« on: January 17, 2004, 06:44:34 PM »
Can I install another copy of advast home edition on a new computer that's networked via a router?  If so, can use my existing registration key?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:Advast home edition on two computers
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 07:37:58 PM »
as long as  you are not using the new computer for profit you can use Home on that computer AND use the same key
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 03:23:12 PM »
In avast! licensing scheme there are two conditions which qualify the user for free non-limited usage of avast! 4 Home. The rules are clear: home AND non-commercial use.

1) it must be the home usage - so any organisations (non-profit or commercial) are disqualified.
2) there should not be any commercial activity done on the computer which is to be protected by avast!,
i.e., if you use it to make some profit, you also do not qualify for avast! Home usage, even on the home computer.
So both conditions should be met for free program!

Anyway, you can have more than one computer in your house and use the same Registration key...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

gtirr

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 05:58:19 PM »
Tech,
Thanks for the info. As a new Avast user, I was wondering the same thing as I have 3 computers at home. 2 desktops and 1 notebook.
All of these are used for home use and nothing is done "For profit."
I tried Avast a few months ago and when I had trouble shutting my systems down, I realized the last program I loaded was Avast. After removing Avast, everything worked fine.
Now, although my systems seem to shut down faster, they still take about 4 times as long to shut down after installing Avast.
But I understand the problem is being worked on. That's great!! :)
Keep up the great work,
gtirr ;D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 06:02:23 PM by gtirr »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2004, 07:27:43 PM »
Tech,
Thanks for the info. ... Now, although my systems seem to shut down faster, they still take about 4 times as long to shut down after installing Avast.
But I understand the problem is being worked on. That's great!! :)
Keep up the great work,
gtirr ;D

Gtirr, maybe the avast team has something to tell you...
My shutdown time is just 4 or 5 seconds more than usual (without avast!) and not 4 times! I don't know it they are working on this, but they can say something about... Your shutdown time is strange indeed  :'(

gtirr

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004, 07:34:45 PM »
Thanks for your response.
After reading it, I shut down my new IBM Notebook and it took a full 35 seconds to shut down.
Now this is not something I can't live with, but I know it shut down faster before I installed Avast.
But from what I've read about Avast, I'm glad I got rid of AVG and started using Avast. Not only because it is much better, but this forum is great!!!! :)
Thanks Again,
gtirr

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2004, 08:01:11 PM »
Thanks for your response.
After reading it, I shut down my new IBM Notebook and it took a full 35 seconds to shut down.
Now this is not something I can't live with, but I know it shut down faster before I installed Avast.
But from what I've read about Avast, I'm glad I got rid of AVG and started using Avast. Not only because it is much better, but this forum is great!!!! :)
Thanks Again,
gtirr

This forum is the best!  ;D
Which OS do you have it the notebook?
If XP, did you use BootVis (the XP Fast Boot Switch Tool from Microsoft)?
(you can learn more here and donwload here).  ;D

gtirr

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2004, 08:06:01 PM »
On my Notebook, I have XP Pro and on both my desktops, I have XP Home.
I tried to find Boot Vis, but found out it is no longer available form MS.
Like I said, this is not anything that I can't live with, especially knowing that Avast is working.
Thanks,
gtirr

Just an update,
I just shut this system down and it also took 35 seconds to fully shutdown.
It's an old Gateway P-3 800 that I've rebuilt and it has XP Home.
Thanks again,
gtirr
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 08:15:36 PM by gtirr »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2004, 10:27:23 PM »
Your 35 seconds seem normal to a XP Pro with avast! The services and providers take some time to shut down but seem normal.

Sorry for the BootVis. Microsoft says:

BootVis.exe Tool
Updated: September 19, 2003

About Bootvis.exe
Bootvis.exe is a performance tracing and visualization tool that Microsoft designed to help PC system designers and software developers identify performance issues for boot/resume timing while developing new PC products or supporting software.

Please note that Bootvis.exe is not a tool that will improve boot/resume performance for end users. Contrary to some published reports, Bootvis.exe cannot reduce or alter a system's boot or resume performance. The boot optimization routines invoked by Bootvis.exe are built into Windows XP. These routines run automatically at pre-determined times as part of the normal operation of the operating system.

If you are an end-user seeking to resolve issues for boot/resume performance on your PC, we recommend that you contact the vendor from whom you purchased the PC. For information from Microsoft on specific issues, you can search Knowledge Base for Windows XP product issues related to "resume time." Knowledge Base is a free information service available at: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

You can also post questions to the Microsoft Windows XP Newsgroups at: http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/?pr=newsgwinxp&Product=winxp

If you are a software developer or system designer seeking assistance for using Bootvis.exe in your development efforts, please work with your usual Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) contacts for developer support. To get developer support if you do not already have a contact, please see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/support/

The Bootvis.exe tool is no longer available from this site.

Anyway, i use BootVis from time to time  ;D

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2004, 06:05:24 AM »
Thanks Again,
gtirr

Gtirr,

See I told ya they will look after you if you have any question about Avast, Avast will always be my KING! AV software.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2004, 11:51:51 AM »
Thanks Again,
gtirr

Gtirr,

See I told ya they will look after you if you have any question about Avast, Avast will always be my KING! AV software.

You discover our secret Speedy...  ;D

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2004, 01:47:20 PM »
Thanks Technical. I am trying to tell other people to have the best AV protection on their home computer without getting ripped off, and Avast doesn't take up a lot of memory and cpu.

That is why I recommand to all my friends to get Avast 4 Home Edition or buy the Pro for 3 years, I strongly and trust Avast for the best AV on a normal home computer.

To all the Avast team I thank you for your great hard work, to come up with a real AV software without taking up on the cpu and memory ram.

I get down on my knee to kiss the Avast KING foot. amen to avast and long live the king.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 01:53:21 PM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2004, 02:03:31 PM »
LOL ;D ;D

SpeedyPC, a bit exagerating, right? :)

Now I see what our competitors (friends) meant when saying we had fanatical users..!
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2004, 06:27:45 AM »

SpeedyPC, a bit exagerating, right? :)

Me exagerating Vlk ;D Nah otherwise I wouldn't know how to exagerate myself.