Author Topic: Error in Avast ??  (Read 2890 times)

mouniernetwork

Error in Avast ??
« on: August 28, 2006, 06:08:54 PM »
Hello,

I was browsing on my computer then when I closed I got a message form windows saying that the ashWebSv.exe had an error and had to close so here is the screenshot of the microsoft report before I sent it.( the screenshot was taken ffrom a French version of Windows xp pro

MounierNetwork
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 06:10:31 PM by mouniernetwork »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Error in Avast ??
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 06:27:22 PM »
Whilst avast's ashWebSv.exe (Web Shield) is slated as the faulting program, more important is the faulting Module, in this case sip.dll which isn't an avast file as far as I'm aware.

A goggle search for sip.dll returns many hit pointing to a VOIP process, do you use VOIP ?
If so what is it and are there any software updates for it ?

What where you doing at the time of the error ?

I would imagine that you wouldn't want the Web Shield to monitor this VOIP traffic, if that is what you were doing. But why that activity would be on the http protocol port 80 is beyond me.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mouniernetwork

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 08:23:18 PM »
Actually no I don't use any VoiceOverIP software the clostest to that would be Live Messnger.
Does that count ??

MounierNetwork

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 09:35:08 PM »
Ignore my previous I searched for sip.dll and that tends to relate to VOIP.

Have you done the google search for spi.dll and see if any of the hits relate to your system ?
One that concerns me is this http://www.sophos.com/security/analyses/trojcashgrabs.html which indicates a trojan that installs <System>\spi.dll, look at the advanced Tab of the above link.

Whilst there are other hits for spi.dll, as a precaution if you have Ewido I suggest running it in safe mode to confirm your clean.

Where is spi.dll located in your system ?
I don't have spi.dll on my system so it doesn't look like it is a part of avast, so I have no idea why it may have been using it.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security