Author Topic: Avast Bootscan  (Read 3898 times)

ragdoll

Avast Bootscan
« on: August 28, 2006, 07:30:30 PM »
Hi everybody,
 I have just installed Avast Home, and i think it is great. However when first installed it performed a boot-scan and then said that I had a Trojan (Win32:pcacme ...this is supposed to be in C:system volume information\-restore). I was then given a choice as what to do with this trojan, all of the choices were to be made using the keyboard. However, Avast had cut the power to the keyboard, so I was unable to do anything. I even had to press the re-set button on my PC to shut down the program. This wasn't just a one off, as I tried a few times, with the same results...very annoying. I am also worried that a trojan is on my system and I can't do anything about it. :( I also have Ewido, Spysweeper 5 and A-squared on my PC and they have found no traces of a trojan.
I wonder if it could be a false positve? What I'd really like is to get the keyboard working so that I could take action after the boot-scan.
 I would be very grateful to anyone who could give me some advice on this.
ps.... I'm not very "technical" and would appreciate simple terms
Thanks in advance

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Bootscan
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 07:44:45 PM »
This is supposed to be in C:system volume information\-restore).
I was then given a choice as what to do with this trojan, all of the choices were to be made using the keyboard. However, Avast had cut the power to the keyboard, so I was unable to do anything. I even had to press the re-set button on my PC to shut down the program.
You need to enable the USB Keyboard support on the BIOS settings...
I suppose you're using one as avast does not 'block' access to the keyboard in booting time.
Are you saying you can't use the keyboard into 'Windows'?
The best things in life are free.

ragdoll

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 09:14:38 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for your reply,
I am using a usb key board..which is working fine, except when Avast does a boot-scan, then there is no power to the keyboard.
Excuse my ignorance, but why would the keyboard work any other time, if the BIOS wasn't enabled for a usb board?
Thanks again

Negeltu

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 09:32:08 PM »
The usb keyboard is available after bootup.  After the OS loads.  :)  By enabling it in the BIOS you make sure it is active/available before the main OS loads as well.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 09:40:50 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, but why would the keyboard work any other time, if the BIOS wasn't enabled for a usb board?
Negeltu answered...
The drivers for the USB keyboard are LOADED after windows boot...
So, at boot time, the BIOS needs to do its job at boot time...

ragdoll

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 09:50:29 PM »
Thanks everyone,
Sorry to be a real dodo here, :-[ but how do I enable it in the BIOS?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 10:52:57 PM »
It might be quite hard to do so. It's a chicken and egg thing, right? You can't enable the keyboard in the BIOS settings because the keyboard is not enabled and so you can't access the setup. Or you can?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

ragdoll

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 07:39:25 PM »
Hi Vik
I can access the BIOS, but I can't find anything relating to enabling USB. However,something very strange has happened! I tried another boot-scan with Avast and it came up with no virus or infections......I had been doing a big clean-out last night and deleted a lot of old folders that had been lurking in "Application Data" I had already removed all of these programs from my computer so I was very surprised to find these folders. Anyway, I deleted the folders, and I am now wondering if the trojan was in one of these. It is the only thing that could make sense to me. What do you think? I am extremely glad to be rid of the trojan, but of course it does not solve the problem of not being able to use the keyboard after Avast's boot-scan. At least I have got time to work on this problem. Now that I am being given the all clear on the boot-scan, I would assume that an ordinary scan will be enough to keep my PC clean?
 Thank you all, very much for your time and patience, it is much appreciated. you have been brilliant!
ps. I don't suppose anyone can tell me what to look for in the BIOS?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 09:12:10 PM »
I had been doing a big clean-out last night and deleted a lot of old folders that had been lurking in "Application Data" I had already removed all of these programs from my computer so I was very surprised to find these folders.
Very surprised?
It's very common that programs do not uninstall very well... the programmers seem not to worry that much as you're not installing (positive action) but removing the software... they're not happy  :-\

Anyway, I deleted the folders, and I am now wondering if the trojan was in one of these.
Did you save any old report about the infection?
Did you allow the archive scanning at boot time when you run it at second time?

It does not solve the problem of not being able to use the keyboard after Avast's boot-scan.
I don't suppose anyone can tell me what to look for in the BIOS?
Maybe you can find help instructions in the BIOS manufacturer webpage or in the keyboard one.

Now that I am being given the all clear on the boot-scan, I would assume that an ordinary scan will be enough to keep my PC clean?
Yes... this assumption is right most of the times.