Author Topic: PAL Spyware Remover removal  (Read 6079 times)

mauserme

PAL Spyware Remover removal
« on: August 18, 2006, 02:29:56 PM »
Does anyone know how to remove PAL Spyware Remover?

This is one of the rogue spyware programs on a computer I'm trying to clean up and I can't make it go away.  The un-installer is broken (or doesn't work on purpose) and the support link on the PAL web page is dead.

Can't find much about it with a Google search either.

Spyros

Re: PAL Spyware Remover removal
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 05:19:08 PM »

mauserme

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 05:36:09 PM »
Thanks Spyros.  That looks like a very useful tool.

I'll be out of town for a few days so will get back with the result after the weekend.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 05:38:01 PM »
Quote from: spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
CoffeeCup Spyware Remover       coffeecup.com       false positives work as goad to purchase; uses inadequate ref database (1); same app as Easy Spyware Killer, JC Spyware Remover & Adware Killer, & PAL Spyware Remover; Note: discontinued by vendor July 2005 [A: 7-27-04 / U: 12-8-05]

Easy Spyware Killer      easyspywarekiller.com      scant info on home page, no privacy policy (1); false positives work as goad to purchase; uses inadequate ref database (1);  same app as CoffeeCup Spyware Remover, PAL Spyware Remover, & JC Spyware Remover & Adware Killer [A: 6-26-04 / U: 6-26-04]

JC Spyware Remover &  Adware Killer       jcspyware-remover.com       false positives work as goad to purchase; uses inadequate ref database (1); same app as Easy Spyware Killer & PAL Spyware Remover [A: 6-26-04 / U: 6-26-04]

PAL Spyware Remover       palsol.com
palsol.biz
palsol.net     aggressive advertising, browser hijacking (1, 2, 3, 4); false positives work as goad to purchase; uses inadequate ref database (1); exploits name "spybot" (1); exploits name "spyware warrior" (1); same app as CoffeeCup Spyware Remover, Easy Spyware Killer, & JC Spyware Remover & Adware Killer - (Note: other domains associated w/ PAL Spyware Remover include: 1spyware-removal.com, adwarebgone.info, adwarespyware.net, cybergations.com, espywarekiller.privacyregained.com, free-spyware-scan.info, jointventureforprofit.com/spy/, online-spyware-scan.com, paltek.net, petspatrol.com, shmyl.com/ierison, spybot-scan.com, spybot-scanner.com, spybot-virus-scan.com, spybot.com-xp.com, spy-spyware.com, spyware1.com, spywarefinder.net, spywarekiller.us, spyware-remover-software.net, spywarescout.com, spywarethis.com-xp.com, spyware-virus-scan.com, spyware-virus-remover.com, trojan-virus-scan.com, win-fix.com) [A: 6-26-04 / U: 6-26-04]

As you can see this one comes with many aliases, so you may bump into it in other guises.

You could use hijackthis to find the location it is running from and delete the registry start-up entries, etc.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 05:39:38 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mauserme

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 02:27:56 PM »
Unfortunately the Uninstall Tool didn't work - I still get the missing data file error when I try to uninstall this (I wonder if this is the file you get if you purchase PAL).

@David

I was able to remove this from the start ups so its not running - just lurking.  And it doesn't show up in the hijackthis log.

At this point the disease is symptom free and I've given the computer back to its owner.  If there are any other ideas about how to remove it I'll have the computer back later this week to install some memory.  I'll look at the registry then but I'm concerned there might be some no-so-obvious components to this that editing the registry won't fix.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 07:04:47 PM »
Hi mauserme,

Try this on this pop up bastard:

http://grc.com/files/shootthemessenger.exe

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

mauserme

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 08:07:35 PM »
Hi polonus,

The messenger has already been shot, so to speak, and whether its that or the fact that PAL is not actively running the pop ups are no longer occurring.  But I can't get the program to uninstall.  As I said, the disease is symptomless but still present.

If it was my computer I might feel comfortable leaving well enough alone, but I'm concerned somebody might click the executable out of curiosity.  I've changed the extension to .dat to discourage this but who knows.  It  can't be a good thing having this on the computer even if it's not active.

Its frustrating...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 08:21:56 PM »
If you are able to identify the program location based on your previous missing data file error and the start-ups entry you removed. You might have to see if there are any other references to that folder or other related folders. In the end if you identify the related folders you may have to delete them, or rename them if your not happy about deleting them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mauserme

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 08:29:18 PM »
In the end if you identify the related folders you may have to delete them, or rename them if your not happy about deleting them.

I do know where the files are located, but don't I run the risk of causing additional problems if I just delete them??

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 08:36:32 PM »
That is also why I said rename them, any reference/call to them would fail and hopefully throw up the warning missing file, etc. Hopefully you can then identify what is calling them if it is legit or otherwise. If after renaming them after a week or two and no adverse effect then it may be safe to delete them.

If you know where they are try a registry search for the known location and see if there are any other entries.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 09:08:24 PM »
Hi mauserme,

Try the trial version of this program to uninstall this misnomer:
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,8087-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/download.html

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

mauserme

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 05:40:28 AM »
The AShampoo Uninstaller Suite was also unsuccessful in removing this problem.

On David's advice I moved the PAL files to another location but, having already renamed the exe without receiving any error notices, its not surprising to find an absence of errors after the move.

Although the support link on the PAL site is still dead their email seems to be OK - ie the email I sent has not been returned as undeliverable.  I'll post again if/when I get a response.

mauserme

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 02:31:22 AM »
Not a word from the people at PAL of course, so yesterday I copied the files to a CD, deleted them from the hard drive and let Eusing do the registry cleaning for me.  So far so good.

Thanks for the suggestion, David.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 02:35:25 AM by mauserme »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 02:36:06 AM »
Your welcome, after this time I doubt you will have any trouble, having removed any registry entries also.