Author Topic: Avast VPN Secureline installation failed  (Read 14144 times)

Offline Alexis118

Avast VPN Secureline installation failed
« on: January 26, 2020, 05:44:54 AM »
Hello,
I live in China, two days ago, Avast VPN Secureline was erratic. Tried to disconnect and reconnect. Didn't work. Tried to reinstall the software, thinking maybe I would get a new version capable to go over the GreatFirewall. But installation failed with the message "The installation failed. The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact software manufacturer for assistance." Reinstalled former versions of Time machine. Got the same error message. really bogged down.
Any clue ?
Cheers
Alex

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Alexis118

Re: Avast VPN Secureline installation failed
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 11:22:43 AM »
Hi Asyn,
Avast Secureline VPN works fine in China. I have used it for more than one month now and it is still working on my wife's Macbook and on my Samsung mobile. It even works better than ExpressVPN or NordVPN. My only problem is to install the software, I should say to reinstall it, on my Macbook, for as i wrote previously, I uninstalled it thinking I would get a new version for the connexion was a little bit erratic during Chinese new year's eve. Now, I get the error message "The installation failed. The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact software manufacturer for assistance." So my problem is not a connexion problem but an installation problem. I hope you can do something, especially if we consider the value of the information I provided to Avast company. Cheers.
Alex

Offline Alexis118

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 11:49:58 AM »
Hi Asyn,
The problem here looks like mine : forum.avast.com/?topic=211466.0
A guy uninstalled an Avast product, Avast Security, when mine is Secureline, and then got the same message : "The installation failed. The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact software manufacturer for assistance." This was two years ago. Ondrej Kolacek and Lukas Hasik helped the guy and incriminated an "an old bug in our deployment process".
Would this be of any help ?
Thanks again
Alex

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 12:37:50 PM »
Hi Alex, wait for one of the devs and/or submit a ticket: https://support.avast.com/contact (paid versions)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Alexis118

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 12:54:22 PM »
Hello Asyn,
I already sent a ticket two days ago. But living in China without a VPN is like driving a car with the gear stuck into first gear. Frustrating. Anyway, many thanks for examining my case.
Cheers,
Alex

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 01:08:27 PM »
OK, now you need to be patient, it's weekend... ;)

Offline Alexis118

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 07:30:14 AM »
Dear Developers,
Maybe this could help to narrow down the problem : the issue seems to be related to an incomplete communication during the installation process between my computer and a Avast database.
When I turn off the wifi, the installation process quickly ends with the now familiar message "The installation failed. The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact software manufacturer for assistance."
When the wifi is on, it takes much longer to get the same message. I have used a free VPN, for every installation attempt (at least 5 in that case), I clearly see the monthly authorised download capacity down by 30Mo. Because I have tried to reinstall VPN Secureline with previous Time machine backups, when I hadn't yet bought this product, my suggestion is that my computer ID must be registered somewhere and installation is denied in order to prevent some kind of cheating.
Could this be the source of my problem ?
Many thanks,
Alex

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 08:18:28 AM »
That might well be the reason, you can only test it once.

Offline Alexis118

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 08:59:58 AM »
Hi Asyn,
Not sure i understand what you mean by 'test'. Or do you mean 'install' ? Well, if so in that case, why not specifying in the first place that Avast VPN Secureline can only be installed once on a computer ? Like for example before you buy it...
Already nearly 3 days without VPN. This is no apocalypse of course and there are more urgent matters in China right now but it is quite irritating nonetheless. Received today an answer from Avast support team saying that connexion is difficult, almost impossible in China. Again, my problem is not a connexion problem but an installation problem.
How well is Avast company aware that its VPN might be one of the very few presently working in China, a market of millions of consumers ?
Thanks for your contribution
Alex

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 11:12:41 AM »
Well, everything else would be for the devs to answer.

Offline krahulik

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 12:40:03 PM »
Hello, we are aware of an issue with an (online) installer that the Avast Secureline VPN cannot be installed on OSX 10.12.x. We would like to release a fix this week.

The installer contains only a bash script that downloads the latest product version from the internet, verifies a signature and initiates a product installation.There's also available a full product installer at http://mac.sl.u.avcdn.net/macosx/avast/avast_secureline.full.dmg than isn't normally distributed since we didn't have a control over its copies on Cnet, etc.

Best Regards,
Martin

Offline Alexis118

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 02:00:15 PM »
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the feedback. I am sorry I am no IT expert. Don't understand "bash script". Well, anyway, I will wait for the fix being released this week then.

Thanks for your effort.

Alex

Offline Alexis118

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 02:55:31 PM »
Hi Martin,

How things are going on ? I am sorry to "pressure" you but I have been one week without VPN and above all the reaction from customer service doesn't make me too optimistic about my installation problem being solved.
I have received two messages asking me each time to go into the folder applications / avast / ... when the whole point of sending a ticket is because I don't have Avast Secureline installed. It seems that the operator is not reading what I wrote but is instead mechanically replying. Kind of frustrating when you are waiting for the messiah.
So... I don't know. If you guys cannot solve my problem or maybe have other priorities, which as far as business is concerned I understand, I prefer to be informed if a solution is not likely to arise. Of course, if you are certain you will find a solution before let's say next Friday, that would be great for I just want to keep using Avast products. Please let me know.

Cheers,

Alex.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 03:12:51 PM »
Hi Alex, did you try the full installer provided by Martin in Reply #11..!?