Author Topic: How Do I make the Prog remember my User  (Read 8693 times)

Joephilstevens

How Do I make the Prog remember my User
« on: January 18, 2004, 04:11:04 AM »
   Please tell me this ; how do I get Avast Ver 4.1  to recognize my “ user name and password “ , AND Remember it !! ,   About every other time when I dial into MY Isp ,( Which is North West Link , aka Infinity Internet )  It asks me for my user name etc ,  After the third time I am beginning to get a bit pissed off at the prog , I entered the info in the sign on screen When I started the prog ,  Or is that the way things are ?  , Using WIN 98se on a high end Custom built box , with ASUS mb and duron 900 processor ,  Phil

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:How Do I make the Prog remember my User
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 05:45:15 AM »
Hi,

Someone more experienced with avast might well correct me -- but it doesn't sound like the problem is with avast at all.

Check your dialup properties (Network Connections, in the Control Panel) -- there's a tick-box for "prompt for name and password", and that might have gotten ticked in error.

And when it does ask for them, there's usually an option (another tick-box) to remember them for next time.

Best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 03:05:22 PM »
Joe, I agree with Mike... It seems not related to avast!, which does not 'change' anything into the dial up properties. avast! only change (to scanning emails) the account settings into your email client.

Could you answer Mike's questions?  ;)
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 03:49:16 PM »
Joe,

Firstly, do not get "piss...." at Avast.  I can tell you that Avast has no "password" monitoring.  Avast will only monitor your system and scan email when it has been configured to do so.

It sounds like an authentication error being returned by your ISP.  This can occur for many reasons.

The "guys" have provided some useful tips.....

Mike brought up a good point.  When the "alert" window opens....Did you check the box that asks to remember the password?  If you have done this and the "alert" box still comes up when signing on,  then I suspect a problem within your computer.
If the window comes up and the box shows "checked".....then you need to contact your ISP.

Be forewarded, that this type of problem can occur randomly from time to time, but it bothers me that you state it happens frequently.

We will do our best to help you if you remain calm.
All right?

techie
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 03:51:18 PM by techie101 »

gtirr

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2004, 05:22:27 PM »
I had the same problem with another forum on my new Notebook until I got all my settings in IE set up like my other systems.
Check you "Cookie" settings first.
But I agree, I don't think it's a problem of Avast.
gtirr

Joephilstevens

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 06:50:43 AM »
 This is my Answer , I do not know what to do !!
  I have no " tick Box " , ,  I NEVER had any problems with my dial up untill I installed Avast ,  SOME Times it ask for me to Fillin my User Name , SOME TIMES it Does NOT ask ,  What I wanna Know IS , Where is the Place I have to go to find the BOX That AVAST ask to be filled IN
   IT IS NOT my Dial up Windows Thingy ,   Phil  ???

Gwen

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 07:02:50 AM »
This is my Answer , I do not know what to do !!
  I have no " tick Box " , ,  I NEVER had any problems with my dial up untill I installed Avast ,  SOME Times it ask for me to Fillin my User Name , SOME TIMES it Does NOT ask ,  What I wanna Know IS , Where is the Place I have to go to find the BOX That AVAST ask to be filled IN
   IT IS NOT my Dial up Windows Thingy ,   Phil  ???

A lightbulb moment:  Since you are obviously Online right now, Phil, are you possibly refering to The Forum here itself?  Like when you Log In it asks for your User Name which mysteriously "disappears" after you've Logged Out and want to log back in it isn't saving your settings?

Just thought I'd ask, since I'm here anyway.    

Joephilstevens

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 07:05:52 AM »

MORE FROM  PHIL >>>  Please note : it is the Avast Server at 127.0.01 that want me to  ???fill in my user name
  WHICH I Gave it when I loaded the Prog , Phil

Joephilstevens

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 07:08:34 AM »
  NO NOT THIS PLACE !  , When I Try to Access my Mail box at MY ISP < Which is North west Link >
  AVAST WANT ME TO tell it my User name , Phol

Joephilstevens

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2004, 07:11:55 AM »
 ??? ??? ??? ???

More from Phil ,  Its past my bed time now
 10:10 on the west coast , I`ll be back tomorrow

MY E-mail adress is  " joephil@nwlink.com " , If you have the Solution Please tell me there !!! , Phil

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2004, 01:37:06 PM »
Can you post a screenshot of the avast! message asking your name/password?
I cannot figure out where are you when the error occurs... I thought you were talking about the dial up...
Can you post a screenshot?  ;)

techie101

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2004, 06:32:26 PM »
Joe,

I think I understand what your problem is.  Let me try to explain.  Avast sets the local host computer ( your own internal virtual computer so to speak) to 127.0.0.1 so that all email is directed to it.  This way Avast can monitor and scan it.  

Avast needs permission to access the account and allow the email to be scanned, and thus the password issue.  This is ok.  It is not actually Avast that wants the password, but your ISP.  Avast is only trying to obtain the email for you but can't since it needs access to the ISP server account.  Understand?

Avast does not ask for your password during the installation process in the Mail Protection Wizard so I am not sure where you entered it.  I suspect that it is your mail client that is at fault here.

I know you use Northwest link for an ISP.  What I need to know is if NW uses SMTP/POP3 protocol.

What program do you use to read your mail? MS Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora etc.....

Thanks
techie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2004, 08:08:59 PM »
Joe, could you answer our 'beloved' techie?  ;)

Joephilstevens

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2004, 09:13:20 PM »
  MORE From PHIL >.  joe to u !! NOT

Avast does not ask for your password during the installation process in the Mail Protection Wizard so I am not sure where you entered it. I suspect that it is your mail client that is at fault here.

I know you use Northwest link for an ISP. What I need to know is if NW uses SMTP/POP3 protocol.

What program do you use to read your mail? MS Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora etc.....

Thanks

Well , I shall attempt to answer these questions , FIrst thing , My name is Phil !!
    It is Not my Password that is asked for , IT is my USER NAME ,  I gave my User name to Advast when I installed IT ,INTO  the Pop up Box that Appeared on my screen during the Install process  Which is the Same as My user name at North west Link !!!! ,   I am really unsure at this Point Who asked for the User name , It was SOMEBODY OR THING ,   Secondly  NW Link uses SIMPLE MAIL TRANSFER PROTOCOL  POP 3  yada yada ,  I use Outlook Express from Microslop ,
    I shall NOW go to nwlink Support and wait on hold for 20 minutes , Maybe they can Cure  this FUBAR ,  Phil  

PS , How do It post a Screen Shot ? , Whats That ?

techie101

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2004, 12:32:53 AM »
Phil,

How Do I make the Prog remember my User
« on: January 18, 2004, 02:11:04 AM »    
------------------------------------------------------------------------  Please tell me this ; how do I get Avast Ver 4.1  to recognize my “ user name and password “ , AND Remember it !! ,

You said password not me.  Now that you revealed a bit more information, I want you to check this for me.

Go into Outlook/tools/Accounts/Mail
Highlight your default mail account and click on Properties.
Now open up the Servers tab and then Settings.
Make sure that the "Remember password" box is checked.

Let me know the results.  If this fails, then I may consider having you reinstall Avast.

techie
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 12:34:32 AM by techie101 »