Poll

In light of the recent news about Avast selling our data, what will you do?

Uninstall immediately and find another product.
29 (49.2%)
Go to settings and opt out of all data sharing.
15 (25.4%)
Wait until my subscription expires and go with another product.
7 (11.9%)
Nothing, I'm ok with it.
7 (11.9%)
I don't know what this is about.
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Recent news about Avast selling our data  (Read 28179 times)

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Recent news about Avast selling our data
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 08:56:52 AM »
A message from Avast CEO Ondrej Vlcek
https://blog.avast.com/a-message-from-ceo-ondrej-vlcek

Offline Lucifer66

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2020, 12:16:55 PM »
I hope it was worth it, if you look at the poll you are losing about half your users so far. Let alone your reputation is in the toilet. Really you should just go out of business and make a new anti-virus company so you can grab more cash using our information like the other crooks on the internet. Maybe name it "Ahead", like you go ahead and screw people for money. Like some kind of prostitute.

This just goes to show you that we need legislation to make this stuff a crime.

Offline XdxD

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2020, 06:16:40 PM »
I hope it was worth it, if you look at the poll you are losing about half your users so far. Let alone your reputation is in the toilet. Really you should just go out of business and make a new anti-virus company so you can grab more cash using our information like the other crooks on the internet. Maybe name it "Ahead", like you go ahead and screw people for money. Like some kind of prostitute.

The Avast uberevangelists don't have any problem with what Avast has done. Why, I don't know.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2020, 08:04:35 PM »

The Avast uberevangelists don't have any problem with what Avast has done. Why, I don't know.

I have a problem with it to an extent. Given I've always disabled data sharing the first thing after installing avast! I wouldn't even be affected, but it's still disturbing thought that they've gone from collecting data to improve protection which I'm fine with, to collecting just all data and selling it further. Aggregated or anonymized or not, why was there a need? Just to satisfy stupid greedy investors and entirely ruin your reputation? I really don't know what they were thinking...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline steens

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2020, 11:58:54 PM »
I have a problem with it to an extent. Given I've always disabled data sharing the first thing after installing avast! I wouldn't even be affected...

You sure about that? I've always custom installed core shields only & disabled all available data share options & geekarea config, but webshields was scraping data directly.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2020, 01:29:37 AM »

I don't think that's true.

Offline jraju

• Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2020, 01:38:51 AM »
Hi, i do not think that avast will do like this , sharing of browsing experience.
Not only news papers but so much articles on web shows that avast is selling data.
Should not you get the consesnt of the users of this.
sorry, avast explanations does not cut ice with users like me
sorry, i will look for another alternative.

Offline kenny556

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2020, 02:50:09 AM »
I hope avast/avg gets removed off every single AV test page. I hope PC mag continues to tell people to move away from the product avast and it's employees deserve to suffer the heat after this stunt. Please continue to uninstall the product lets teach these unethical's a lesson.   

Offline kenny556

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2020, 03:30:32 AM »

Avast could sell user data to users on the darkweb and the uberevangelists especially B0B would still recommend it and find that nothing is wrong.  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline XdxD

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 06:32:27 AM »

I have a problem with it to an extent. Given I've always disabled data sharing the first thing after installing avast! I wouldn't even be affected, but it's still disturbing thought that they've gone from collecting data to improve protection which I'm fine with, to collecting just all data and selling it further. Aggregated or anonymized or not, why was there a need? Just to satisfy stupid greedy investors and entirely ruin your reputation? I really don't know what they were thinking...
Glad to know that some do care. Even I kept those check boxes off since the beginning, but the privacy scandal of others' data bugs me.

Offline XdxD

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2020, 06:33:22 AM »

Avast could sell user data to users on the darkweb and the uberevangelists especially B0B would still recommend it and find that nothing is wrong.  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Only some I think. But yeah, I didn't expect Bob to side with them even after such a scandal.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2020, 07:54:22 AM »

Not me, i gave up avast long time ago and i no longer preach the gospel

Offline XdxD

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2020, 08:01:58 AM »
Not me, i gave up avast long time ago and i no longer preach the gospel
Glad to know that.
Edit: I have moved away to Defender. Happy with it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 10:52:06 AM by XdxD »

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2020, 01:01:34 PM »
I can't answer the vote, there's no choice that fits.
"wait and see what happens on avast" would have been my vote.
Indeed, I'd be happy to believe someone would tell me with certainty what the impact will be on the future safety of the product (essential point).

Avast must also be moving on eggshells at time.
As Avast is not Microsoft, it is easier to separate from the first one, even if many of us know that the position of the 2 (it's not limited to "2") regarding personal data are more or less the same.

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2020, 04:00:10 PM »
I hope avast/avg gets removed off every single AV test page. I hope PC mag continues to tell people to move away from the product avast and it's employees deserve to suffer the heat after this stunt. Please continue to uninstall the product lets teach these unethical's a lesson.

As much as I may dislike Avast!'s recent tactics (this is not the only one I'm against), Avast! employee's do not deserve to take the heat for the latest stunt. They get paid to do what they're told, nothing more. The people who DO deserve to take the heat for this are the stakeholders, and senior leadership who (presumably) either voted to made this happen.

Think of it this way: You refuse to do the job you were hired to do for.

What happens to you? You. Get. Fired. They hire someone to replace you. What happens to you? You're out of a job, and (like the average American might be) living paycheque to paycheque. You're fucked, Avast! keeps moving on without you, and would never notice the difference.

Don't blame avast! employees. Blame senior leadership. Enough with that horseshit.
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.