Author Topic: Setup of VS.net 2005 fails with avast  (Read 2968 times)

csteeg

Setup of VS.net 2005 fails with avast
« on: August 19, 2006, 09:50:48 PM »
Hi,

I'm running avast 4.7 home edition on windows xp pro x64 edition
I got an error when trying to install visual studio 2005 professional on my system.
It says 'there was an error copying files'.

I traced it down with filemon that it seems unable to copy any file that ends with .htm to the system's temp folder
(documents & settings\..\localsettings\temp\...)

As soon as I turn off the entire avast service, I can run setup again. I also tried to see what provider caused this, but turning off the providers one by one still didn't allow an install, only a complete stop of the avast service.

Regards,
Chris

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Setup of VS.net 2005 fails with avast
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 12:16:45 AM »
That's rather strange... first, I certainly installed VS 2005 on XP Pro x64 with avast! running without any problems (though I admit it was a few versions back), second - the avast! service itself shouldn't affect the system in any way if the resident providers are stopped.
Standard Shield might affect reading/writing files somehow, but if it's stopped...  :-\

Any more details from the FileMon log? (such as, what error was returned when copying the file)? Maybe you could paste a few relevant lines...

csteeg

Re: Setup of VS.net 2005 fails with avast
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 08:41:17 AM »
I really have more problems, seem to occur only with the documents & settings dir.

Problems I encounter:

There really is an issue somewhere.
I must say: documents & settings is some special occasion. I don't know if this is regular win64 behaviour, but it has created a c:\users wich is the real folder (or so I beleive :)) and c:\documents and settings is a junction point (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point) to c:\users.

I really hope you guys can reproduce it (after which it'll be fixable ofcourse ;))