Author Topic: good freeware firewalls?  (Read 31298 times)

timcan

Re: good freeware firewalls?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 11:16:51 AM »

I used easy mode and I made sure my programs have full access. I looked at tasks window manager.  I didn't see it in there. Do you know what processes for ashampoo? Thanks...Rose
Hi again,  Comodo does give you the option for it to auto approve safe apps in order to reduce the number of popups that you receive.Hope this helps.tim :)

mauserme

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 01:27:29 PM »
Now a second multi-account computer suffers the same problem if I log into the admin account first.  Logging into a non-admin account first avoids the problems.  I'm in contact with a support person at AShampoo about this.

Ramblinrose, my advice about this firewall was premature.

ramblinrose

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 05:52:11 PM »
Hi all....I am not happy with ashampoo at all. I still didn't receive registeration key in my email...everytime I booted...popup of ashampoo asking me to buy or get code or continue trial...etc I should have gotten key by now.

As for windows hung up first time....this is my new laptop Dell and I am only user. There is no reason for hung at all. There isn't many programs starting up....avast, ewido, windows defender that's it. 512 ram of memory

Will you please give me a link where I can check ashampoo pass test or not? That will give me good protection? Could you give me instructions too?

I think I may uninstall ashampoo soon....

I downloaded sygate 5.5 and saved it...I will wait to hear what everyone says about it....I am thinking about giving comodo a try....Regards, Rose

mauserme

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 06:03:24 PM »
You're right - you should have received an email linking you to a sight that would give you the key within minutes of registration.  Did you follow both steps?

As far as the quality of the firewall and problems, you should look at this thread in the General Topics

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23060.0

Its probably best to continue the discussion there as this is not really related to to avast!

Jarmo P

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 06:46:00 PM »
Rambling rose, Sygate is a good firewall overall.
You just need to go to options, there check to hide notification messages.
Not in that popup that never worked.

As with avast, that has local proxies. Not so very good for outbound protection.
Sygate 5.5 you can find in my guide in my signature or this link:
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=sygate

ramblinrose

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 08:49:30 PM »
I don't know what you mean both steps? I just followed their instructions. I am going to uninstall and use sygate again...but this time different version 5.5 Thank you!

Jarmo that was very helpful!! Thank you so much...I do like sygate and I am used to it but been awhile since I was told it was discontinued so I used Zone Alarm. Now I found out I can use sygate. Regards, Rose

ramblinrose

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 09:42:12 PM »
I am sorry about starting a thread but I thought this forum would be kind enough to help me.

This will be last time about firewalls...I give up with sygate...I tried 2 times...Windows will not recogizne(spell) sygate firewall. I don't know what happened.....I turned off internet...turn off windows firewall and install sygate and rebooted. Windows still tells me I don't have a firewall.

I wonder if ashampoo did something to windows when I uninstalled ashampoo?  ???

I will be using windows firewall for now. Thank you for helping me...Regards, Rose

gwheaton

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2006, 12:41:03 AM »
I am sorry about starting a thread but I thought this forum would be kind enough to help me.

This will be last time about firewalls...I give up with sygate...I tried 2 times...Windows will not recogizne(spell) sygate firewall. I don't know what happened.....I turned off internet...turn off windows firewall and install sygate and rebooted. Windows still tells me I don't have a firewall.

I wonder if ashampoo did something to windows when I uninstalled ashampoo?  ???

I will be using windows firewall for now. Thank you for helping me...Regards, Rose

If I remember correctly, with sygate 5.5 Windows will say there is no firewall, but sygate is running and there is no problem.  Sygate 5.5 came out before Microsoft did with the security center.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2006, 01:56:37 AM »
 :)  Hi Rose :

You talking about that unreliable "Windows Security
      Center" in SP2 !? Best to view the topics about
     "firewalls" @
      http://support.microsoft.com/xpsp2installed .

DAKz

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2006, 03:18:25 AM »
I have had all the same problems as I have seen here, the title of this thread drew me in hoping that someone makes a decent firewall for Windows 2003 and  Windows Vista, I have tried most of them and my online time now has been a search for a firewall that works, usually they hang Windows after the reboot and you either have to reboot into F8 and uninstall or try to disable it enough through task manager that you can get in and remove it! If anyone knows a decent firewall that you don't have to spend 2 years at configuring let me know! I am including my computer info if that helps!

Dell Poweredge 6300
Quad 500 Xeon Processors
4gb EEC RAM
216 gb SCSI PREC2sc/RAID
Windows 2003 SP1 & Windows Vista 5536 Dual boot.
nVidia Geforce FX5500
960watt power supply

mauserme

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2006, 04:27:24 AM »

There are many on this thread trying to help but please keep in mind setting up a new firewall can be frustrating even when the installation works as advertised.  I'm sorry it did not with AShampoo.

The two steps I referred to for registering AShampoo was first, submit the registration request in which you provide your email address.  Second, click the link that is emailed you to complete the registration form.  The result of the second step will be an emailed key.  But if the program won't run this is a moot point.

I honestly don't know of any firewalls that would be easier to use that those mentioned in this thread but a search of the forums can lead you to many threads discussing this topic.

testy

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2006, 05:13:35 AM »
I unfortunately just tried Ashampoo.  I uninstalled Comodo, just to try it and see how it was.  It seemed fine till I connected to the internet.  Internet Explorer kept freezing up.  If I clicked on a link, the hour glass would set there for about 30 seconds, then the  "end program" screen would appear. I would have to close and restart IE.  Then I went to Shields Up, it failed the tests. I have never had that happen and I have tried about all the firewalls available.  I uninstalled it immediately.  I'm sort of in a flux over firewalls at this point.  I used Kerio till it started conflicting with Avast causing the ghost images that there have been so many threads about.  I liked Comodo Beta, but it irritated me to death. Several times a day it would pop up and ask for permission for IE to access internet as server.  I even gave it full access but the pop ups didn't stop. I went to hippo files and downloaded a slightly older version of Kerio that I'm using right now.  I still don't understand it, I installed Ewido since the last time I had Kerio.  For some reason when it updated it didn't ask for access, likewise another  antispy program accessed the internet for updates and it didn't ask for permission.  I'm actually thinking of going back to ZA.

ramblinrose

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2006, 10:55:49 AM »
Wow I thought my thread will end already....anyway came back to tell you all that I installed comodo firewall and so far it's fine.... :)

I registered my email to ashampoo and I never received any from them. I registered everytime I booted up because there was a popup asking for key code or continue trial. It was 10 days trial....I didn't like it.

I never had so much trouble with sygate before!! I must be doing something wrong...anyway this will be last time...sorry I started it...Thank you very much...I love my Avast...keep up great job!!!! hugs, Rose

mauserme

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2006, 02:51:21 PM »
I unfortunately just tried Ashampoo.

Listen - Ashampoo clearly needs to address this problem and I, for one, have been in contact with them.  I'm sure there are others.   I'm guessing the problem is in the installation package but maybe its the program itself.

All I can say is the program is nice when it works but if you're unwilling to deal with this consistency issue then stay away from it until its fixed.

Wow I thought my thread will end already....

Yes, for those wanting to let's please continue the discussion in the General Topics thread

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23060.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2006, 03:18:14 PM »
I have had all the same problems as I have seen here, the title of this thread drew me in hoping that someone makes a decent firewall for Windows 2003 and  Windows Vista, I have tried most of them and my online time now has been a search for a firewall that works, usually they hang Windows after the reboot and you either have to reboot into F8 and uninstall or try to disable it enough through task manager that you can get in and remove it! If anyone knows a decent firewall that you don't have to spend 2 years at configuring let me know! I am including my computer info if that helps!

Dell Poweredge 6300
Quad 500 Xeon Processors
4gb EEC RAM

Isn't Windows 2003 a server OS ?
Is your version of Vista also a server edition OS ?
In which case you would require a server firewall solution I would have thought. Which may account for the hanging windows.

Although the title might have drawn you in those firewalls mentioned here are desktop/workstation solutions.

I did a quick google for server firewall software http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=server+firewall+software, which returned many hits (not all server firewall)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security