Author Topic: Uninstalled Avast CleanUp and now windows can't find .exe files  (Read 3460 times)

Offline funkyj

Uninstalled Avast CleanUp and now windows can't find .exe files
« on: February 07, 2020, 11:05:43 PM »
Hi,

My Avast CleanUp trail came to an end so I uninstalled it.

However, some of the programs it put to sleep - Origin, Steam, (and probably others) no longer work.

When I click on the shortcuts, I get an error "Windows cannot find 'E:\Steam\Steam.exe'. Make sure you've typed the name correctly and try again."

If I open the folder and click on the exe directly, I get the same error, even though the file is right there and I'm clicking on it.

I've tried restarting my PC several times.

Offline funkyj

Re: Uninstalled Avast CleanUp and now windows can't find .exe files
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 11:18:49 PM »
Just to add to this, I can't even uninstall Origin or Steam to be able to reinstall it, as I get this error message.

Clearly Avast Cleanup has damaged the registry files in some way. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the Registry to fix it.

Offline funkyj

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 11:48:41 PM »
Ok, I found this thread, downloaded and reinstalled CleanUp, and now my programs work.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=218790.0

But now I've got them to work, how do I wake the programs permanently and uninstall CleanUp? I don't see an option to wake the programs up any longer :(

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 02:48:54 PM »
Ok, I found this thread, downloaded and reinstalled CleanUp, and now my programs work.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=218790.0

But now I've got them to work, how do I wake the programs permanently and uninstall CleanUp? I don't see an option to wake the programs up any longer :(

Hi,

first let me apologize for all the inconveniences you had to go through.

After reading all your posts it still seems a bit strange to me, you should at least see the programs you have already put to sleep in the list of sleeping programs in "Background & startup programs" where you should be able to click "Wake" to wake them up.
If the list is blank, please send us logs and diagnostics data so we can take a look at it.
You can simply send them by executing our log collector utility from this path C:\Program Files (x86)\AVAST Software\Avast Cleanup\tulogcollector.exe assuming that you have still Avast Cleanup installed on your computer.
Just please add your email address there so we can join the logs with your report here.

Thank you.