Author Topic: Avast found Processguard as a virus !  (Read 18820 times)

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
Re: Avast found Processguard as a virus !
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 09:38:42 PM »
my words :) i was like what the ;) ... but mistakes happens ;)
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

strangequark

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 10:56:43 PM »
I see that it will be fixed in next update, but just like to report same thing here, turned on both my computers and there is an Avast warning of trojan in ProcessGaurd, not nice to wake up to.
Big error boy's, not a nice one, hpefully it will be fixed soon

1600e

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 10:31:56 AM »
hi
has happened to my pc -no process guard-infected!and will not let me access programme to do any thing
Question what do we do now?
wait till fix ,and will it let p.g work ok and let me  access p.g?
uninstall p.g now and reinstall after fix?
any advice please.
cheers dean.m

Stan05

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 10:59:16 AM »
I have also had this problem this morning on both computers. I re-installed on one and still had the same problem, and reading through this thread seems that it is a false positive. The file in question is Procguard.exe. This is in the full version.

Following the instructions given near the top of this thread it is quite simple to type in the path given in the Avast warning. Have done this and problem over.

Regards

David

Jarmo P

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 11:13:15 AM »
I think you should let things be as they are and wait.

Normal scan did not let me put procguard.exe to chest, but a boot scan did. So there it stays until avast antivirus database is fixed.

PG works normally, prevents IE or other apps I have not given internet access without asking me. It is just the GUI file that avast flags as a false positive. Without a missing graphic user interface yoy cannot of course go and change the program rights, but basic protection still works :)

We will see if there are no long term effects like needing to uninstall PG and install or such, but I suspect, the file needs just to be removed back from chest when database is fixed
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 11:18:45 AM by Jarmo P »

1600e

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 11:36:04 AM »
hi
thanks stan and jarmo p
based on what has been said it being a f.pos (e.g by igor) i have copied  the .exe to ignore/exclude list in standard sheild in resident protection for now,and it seems to be working ok.
hope thats the ok thing to do,probally should have done like jarmo but its done now so thanks for advice anyway.
cheers dean.m

Stan05

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006, 05:08:42 PM »
Seems it has now been fixed. Avast updated itself a while ago and I have removed the protection I put in an no alarms coming up when I restart PG

Jarmo P

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2006, 10:31:57 PM »
Seems it has now been fixed. Avast updated itself a while ago and I have removed the protection I put in an no alarms coming up when I restart PG

If so, avast really has broken my PG. That boot scan I guess did the job.
I tried to restore the file from chest and look what I got.
This is a really sad day, time to ditch avast I guess :(

1.5 years ago I became an avast user even while running a payed Norman.
Now avast has shown it's qualities by braking Processguard.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2006, 10:59:35 PM »
That's strange... what if you Extract the file to the appropriate folder (instead of trying to Restore it)? Or, can you extract it somewhere else?

Negeltu

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2006, 11:01:14 PM »
There are a number of things that could have happened.  I wouldn't have put it in the chest, but regardless....  Did you update process guard since quarantining the file?

Jarmo P

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2006, 11:16:16 PM »
Yes I tried also to extract it.

There are a number of things that could have happened.  I wouldn't have put it in the chest, but regardless....  Did you update process guard since quarantining the file?

What the hell would you have done Negeltu instead of moving the file to virus quarantine???
I have no idea what updating PG means!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2006, 11:18:41 PM »
So, when you try to extract the file from the Chest into C:\, you still get the same error?  ???

Jarmo P

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2006, 11:35:08 PM »
Yes igor, I could. And then i moved it to processguard folder.
The problem is fixed.
I will keep Avast.

I was not in the best of moods and then a smartass post like from negeltu got me pissed off.
Sorry for my previous post, but helps maybe others who had moved it to chest.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 11:42:04 PM by Jarmo P »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2006, 11:40:12 PM »
I know you now have the problem solved but here are my suppositions.

If process guard's self protection was any great shakes (after all that is what it is trying to prevent for other programs) then as you mentioned even after avast boot scan detected it and you sent it to the chest was it still running as in your comment below ?

Normal scan did not let me put procguard.exe to chest, but a boot scan did. So there it stays until avast antivirus database is fixed.

PG works normally, prevents IE or other apps I have not given internet access without asking me. It is just the GUI file that avast flags as a false positive. Without a missing graphic user interface yoy cannot of course go and change the program rights, but basic protection still works Smiley

Perhaps PG was running when you tried to restore the file from the chest and that stopped avast restoring the PG file. Sorry this is supposition as I gave up on PG over 18 months ago, so I couldn't test it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jarmo P

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2006, 11:44:46 PM »
Yes David, it was working and protecting itself :)