Author Topic: avast application is no more open : AVAST blocked  (Read 2269 times)

Offline hugues46

avast application is no more open : AVAST blocked
« on: May 27, 2021, 02:58:36 PM »
Hello to all
The AVAST application is completely stuck on my mac.
It doesn't seem to be open and when I try to open it, my finder says "the avast application is no longer open". It is not visible in "force quit".
However, it is in the activity monitor with a status of "not responding".
I tried to quit the process via the monitor, Avast restarts and then doesn't respond again.
I wanted to reinstall, but it was no possible because the app was already installed on my mac.
I then quit the process, put avast in the trash and emptied my trash... but that didn't change anything.

Mac OS Catalina Version 10.15.7 .. avast was up to date.
I'm trying to find the app on my timlemachine, but so far my mac won't open my disk! (NAS)

Does anyone have any idea how I can get unstuck... clean up Avast properly to reinstall it (I've tried wit 2 applications (delete app and Os cleaner pro ) but they don't see avast anymore!!)
 or something else.

Thanks a lot

Offline jakub.bednar

• Avast team
Re: avast application is no more open : AVAST blocked
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 03:59:01 PM »
Hello,

I apologise for the issues. As I am not sure about what state the app is in as you did try to move it to Trash, I suggest you to reinstall.

You first need to uninstall the already installed version. One way is to open Tarminal.app and run

Code: [Select]
open /Applications/Avast.app/Contents/Backend/utils/com.avast.uninstall.app
But as you did throw Avast to Trash and probably cleaned, this will most likely fail. In that case please do the following in Terminal:

Code: [Select]
sudo rm -rf "/Applications/Avast.app"
sudo rm -rf "/Library/Application Support/Avast"
defaults delete com.avast.AAFM

now reboot your Mac to make sure all Avast processes that might still be running are stopped. After this you should be able to install Avast.

If you encounter the original issue again, please contact us without throwing to trash so we can possibly ask for some log files etc that could help us investigate and hopefully fix the issue.

Kind regards,

Jakub

Offline hugues46

Re: avast application is no more open : AVAST blocked
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 05:39:46 PM »
Thanks Jakub,

It's working.
Hugues