Author Topic: Web Browser Leaves No FootPrint!  (Read 16677 times)

neal62

Re: Web Browser Leaves No FootPrint!
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2006, 12:02:14 AM »
I got rid of browzar. Seems like from what I have read etc that I can do almost the same thing with some of my other browsers anyway.  :)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2006, 08:24:15 PM »
Hi Neal63,

I have been getting this Browzar shell thingie apart like the old grandpa alarm clock, and stuck on some remarkable facts.
Following info for informational purposes only:

The shell was built with Webweaver and Visual Basic C++, guess version 7.0. If you turn it on with the language changed to dutch, it leads you to the dutch page of ask.com, Salt Lake City comes into the picture, and names pop up like Secure-Comodo, the USERTRUST.com Network, for what that's worth, and the program comes from Huddersfield U.K.. Home base url: 217.199.173.135.
These are used accelerators:

VK_N, 57600, CONTROL, VIRTKEY
   VK_O, 57601, CONTROL, VIRTKEY
   VK_S, 57603, CONTROL, VIRTKEY
   VK_Z, 57643, CONTROL, VIRTKEY
   VK_X, 57635, CONTROL, VIRTKEY
   VK_C, 57634, CONTROL, VIRTKEY
   VK_V, 57637, CONTROL, VIRTKEY
   VK_BACK, 57643, ALT, VIRTKEY
   VK_DELETE, 57635, SHIFT, VIRTKEY
   VK_INSERT, 57634, CONTROL, VIRTKEY
   VK_INSERT, 57637, SHIFT, VIRTKEY
   VK_F6, 57680, VIRTKEY
   VK_F6, 57681, SHIFT, VIRTKEY

The excuse from the developers is that you can give in any searchengine URL you want, as they say, and the program was not meant to be an adtool per se.

Much worse i.m.h.o. it does not act as a privacy tool also, because it leaves traces of the visited URLs on several places on the user's hard disk. I discussed this in our thread.
With all the functionality of the underlying IE browser sitting there, it is not the most secure way to go, I fear.
What do you think?

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

neal62

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2006, 10:31:07 PM »
Hi Polonus,
Very interesting. I am not sure what to think about all of this information you obtained. I know that I got rid of Browzar. Interesting that the name Comodo came up in your information. While one of its products is a firewall they do have other programs also. Hmmm?