Author Topic: Version: 20.1 (February 2020)  (Read 81699 times)

Offline MRTMN

Re: NEW Version: 20.1 (February 2020)
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2020, 08:29:31 PM »
This update appears to break WSL.

Offline Marsman65

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2020, 09:08:53 PM »
Back again! I did on what I was instructed to do, by performing the repair function and still you can’t see the control panel even after you double click the main icon or clicking the lower right or left tray icons, but it is working because you can see the pulsating lower left hand icon. I even performed the repair function twice, and still nothing. So it’s a good thing I’ve got a recent backup. I will in the mean time restore the latest backup and use the previous version of Avast at least until maybe it can be figured out on what’s going own and another version of Avast is released. I wonder if anybody else is having the same issues as well.

Offline webspy

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2020, 09:41:47 PM »
Back again! I did on what I was instructed to do, by performing the repair function and still you can’t see the control panel even after you double click the main icon or clicking the lower right or left tray icons, but it is working because you can see the pulsating lower left hand icon. I even performed the repair function twice, and still nothing. So it’s a good thing I’ve got a recent backup. I will in the mean time restore the latest backup and use the previous version of Avast at least until maybe it can be figured out on what’s going own and another version of Avast is released. I wonder if anybody else is having the same issues as well.

I'm experiencing the exact same issue. No matter what I try (start menu shortcut, clicking or double clicking the tray icon, using any option from the tray menu, starting a scan from Windows Explorer) the Avast UI won't open. I've already tried uninstalling + re-installing, repairing multiple times and rebooting multiple times.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the following log entries are always generated when I try to open the Avast UI (in C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log\HtmlRemoteContent.log):

Code: [Select]
Wed Feb 26 22:32:42 2020 - https://local.avast.com/MainWindow.html
Wed Feb 26 22:32:42 2020 - https://local.avast.com/offline.htm

Offline petr blatny

• Avast team
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2020, 07:56:58 AM »

I'm experiencing the exact same issue. No matter what I try (start menu shortcut, clicking or double clicking the tray icon, using any option from the tray menu, starting a scan from Windows Explorer) the Avast UI won't open. I've already tried uninstalling + re-installing, repairing multiple times and rebooting multiple times.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the following log entries are always generated when I try to open the Avast UI (in C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log\HtmlRemoteContent.log):

Code: [Select]
Wed Feb 26 22:32:42 2020 - https://local.avast.com/MainWindow.html
Wed Feb 26 22:32:42 2020 - https://local.avast.com/offline.htm

May I please ask for logs from: c:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log\ = copy the folder into a temp folder, pack/zip it and send it to petr.blatny@avast.com
Thank you very much

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2020, 09:58:35 AM »
Related to old settings:
If you are missing any setting (it is not even in geek:area section). Please let me know what it is. The best is provide a screenshot of old setting. You can temporary enable them:
1. turn off self defense and close UI
2. edit: "c:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\setup\config.def" and change HideOldSettings=1 to HideOldSettings=0
3. Open UI, go into old settings and make a screenshot
4. send me the screenshot + description what you want to change. Email: petr.blatny@avast.com

Thank you very much

@petr blatny. Thankyou for revealing means to access OldSettings is still available, if needed.

Offline Michael Gabriel

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2020, 04:28:08 PM »
Yup the bug still here! New windows 10 after clean format and install avast free v20.1 the antivirus show your avast is expired.What!! just install and avast expired! that try to update the virus database and program and success.STILL the expired still there! then select protection type and choose free version..then the new windows appear and said 'try premium security for 60 days for free' but i select no thank you..of course i select this word coz i want a free version.BUT sadly nothing happen.The interface still show it has expired! Dont tell me to repair my installation or modify my installation or clean installation of my avast because i try install this for 6 computers different personals with fresh and clean format of windows 10 and all show the same result! any solutions?

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2020, 05:22:03 PM »
Related to old settings:
If you are missing any setting (it is not even in geek:area section). Please let me know what it is. The best is provide a screenshot of old setting. You can temporary enable them:
2. edit: "c:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\setup\config.def" and change HideOldSettings=1 to HideOldSettings=0
4. send me the screenshot + description what you want to change. Email: petr.blatny@avast.com

Thank you very much

@petr blatny. Thankyou for revealing means to access OldSettings is still available, if needed.
@petr blatny.
Tried to change config.def with self defence turned off but cannot save the changed file. See scheenshot.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2020, 06:46:17 PM »
<snip quotes>
@petr blatny.
Tried to change config.def with self defence turned off but cannot save the changed file. See scheenshot.

Assuming that you followed the directions exactly.

Did you use Microsoft NotePad ?
If not that could be the reason, I believe notepad.exe is the only text editor allowed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2020, 07:28:30 PM »
<snip quotes>
@petr blatny.

Assuming that you followed the directions exactly.

Did you use Microsoft NotePad ?
If not that could be the reason, I believe notepad.exe is the only text editor allowed.

I got the same result, no permissions and I used Notepad.

Offline Marsman65

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2020, 10:26:44 PM »
Yep! I’m back again, and have already restored my computer’s backup via Macrium Reflect; it takes me about a little over 3hrs to do all of this, that’s a lot of production down time. I’m not a programmer nor do I have a lot of experience in such things. Based on the posts I’m reading, its sound’s like there’s still many bugs in this version of Avast I still wonder on how many people this same issue has. A dear friend told me “see something say something” if you don’t nobody will know on what’s going own. That’s one reason I joined this forum. I personally believe in Avast products since 2008. 

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2020, 10:34:20 PM »
Yep! I’m back again, and have already restored my computer’s backup via Macrium Reflect; it takes me about a little over 3hrs to do all of this, that’s a lot of production down time. I’m not a programmer nor do I have a lot of experience in such things. Based on the posts I’m reading, its sound’s like there’s still many bugs in this version of Avast I still wonder on how many people this same issue has. A dear friend told me “see something say something” if you don’t nobody will know on what’s going own. That’s one reason I joined this forum. I personally believe in Avast products since 2008.
What does your post contribute to the problem that's being discussed in this topic?
If you have a problem, please start your own topic. Don't hijack a topic on a different subject. Thanks
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidGB

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2020, 01:37:15 AM »
My paid Avast Premium updated itself a few days ago despite being set to 'ask', leaving me very puzzled as to why it suddenly did an unscheduled Smart Scan sometime after the scheduled one. Unacceptable. I also find some geek:area settings have changed and conflict with the main settings. And I am truly and utterly fed up with the way that in the PAID product I not only have a permanent banner across the status screen about a privacy issue that is just trying to sell me the vpn, but it even keeps causing notifications to pop up from the Win10 notification area trying to upsell the Avast VPN ... when I have very limited need for a VPN which is completely met by the free version of ProtonVPN I have installed.

Throw in the silliness about the inability to add to the 'Friends' ip ranges and the consequent need to open far too big a hole in the Firewall just to get Miracast between laptop and Roku to work, and the appalling shambles about what Avast has been collecting and doing with the data over the last few years, and this update just confirms the decision I'd already made to see out my current subscription, then cancel and dump Avast products.

Offline PAID

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2020, 03:58:46 AM »
After Avast Ads system launched, Here in Korea, the reputation of Avast has changed very badly.
People even recognize the free version of Avast as adware.

Offline petr blatny

• Avast team
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2020, 07:19:25 AM »
Hello, related to old settings:
Seems that my description how to enable it doesn't work for you.
I will enable the link into old settings remotely. Lets say for two weeks. Please let me know what are you missing by the screenshots sent to petr.blatny@avast.com
Anyway we need to remove this old part of avast. That means old settings will be removed completely in 20.3 or 20.4 release.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2020, 11:27:40 AM »
Related to old settings:

Thank you very much
I haven't tried the procedure but one of my devices hasn't been updated yet.
An user is currently having trouble activating avast free with 56k modem dial-up connection here
I was wondering if checking this box could affect activation in his case.
If so, it's no longer possible with the new version, I think?

edit:
Throw in the silliness about the inability to add to the 'Friends' ip ranges
this possibility too, it seems to me that it was still available in "old settings", now - with "geek:area" - it's  all IP or nothing.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 11:33:46 AM by chris.. »