Author Topic: Erratic behaviour of Logins to MyAvast and Avast Forum:  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Kick

Erratic behaviour of Logins to MyAvast and Avast Forum:
« on: February 24, 2020, 03:07:24 PM »
Hi,

I have an erratic problem when I try to log in to my MyAvast account and to my Avast Forum account.  Often my login details are rejected and the frustration at this is then compounded by frequent, irritating 'captchas'.  I thought that perhaps the problem was partly due to the two accounts sharing the same email address and similar but not identical passwords so I tried to create a new forum account via a different email address.  Unfortunately this only added to the problem.  Trying to log in is very much hit and miss even though I know I have used the correct password and email address for the account concerned - sometimes, when I try to log in to the forum, the process seems to be working but I find my 'MyAvast' account opens instead.  These problems occur whether I enter details manually or utilize my 'Lastpass' password manager.

If possible, I would like to delete my forum accounts and create a single new one via an email address that differs from the one registered with my 'MyAvast' account.

I would be grateful for any advice before I tear out my last few hairs.  Thanks.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Kick

Re: Erratic behaviour of Logins to MyAvast and Avast Forum:
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 12:11:53 PM »
Hi Asyn,

Thanks for the useful link.  I've now got a better understanding and things have got better today. At the moment I have two working forum accounts (using different email accounts and passwords for access) and one is therefore surplus and could be removed when I work out how.  I set up the second account when I was getting frequent password rejection on the first account.  The problem was compounded by my confusion over the relationship between the forum account and the 'My Avast' account but the link you provided has clarified that for me.

Cheers.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 12:19:22 PM »
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Kick

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 05:35:11 PM »
Hi,

I've worked out what was causing my problem and believe it is now fully resolved: the problem seems to have been caused by how I used my password manager.  Now, rather than try to open either the Avast Community Forum or the MyAvast pages directly from the password manager, I open my account by utilizing a bookmark for the appropriate login page (one for the forum and another for the MyAvast).  I then click twice in either the email address or password textbox and my password manager provides the appropriate entry.  Before I realized what was causing the problems I had two separate entries in the password manager (one for the forum and one for MyAvast) - I had different passwords for each entry but the same email address so the system was very confused as was I.

There is just one thing left to clear up although it is not critical for me: while I was having the problems, I opened a new account with an alternative email address. That account is now surplus to requirements - is there a simple way for me to remove it?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 05:50:59 AM »
There is just one thing left to clear up although it is not critical for me: while I was having the problems, I opened a new account with an alternative email address. That account is now surplus to requirements - is there a simple way for me to remove it?
No, but I/we can remove it for you (if it has 0 posts).

Offline Kick

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 10:14:56 AM »
Hi Asyn,

Before seeing your reply, I logged into 'MyAvast' using the surplus account's email address.  By entering myprofile, I was able to delete the account but, from your reply, it seems that my Avast Community Forum part of the surplus account is still in place.  So what is the next step to allow you to complete the removal?  For example, will I need to re-register the account or can you remove the forum aspect without the MyAvast registration?

Thanks for your continuing help - I'm sorry for being a nuisance by getting into this muddle.  Cheers.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 10:24:10 AM »
Hi, just provide the account name (as confirmation).

Offline Kick

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 12:02:01 PM »
Hi Asyn,

The name for the account concerned is KesterCurr.

Thanks again for all the help you've given me.  Best regards.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 12:05:54 PM »
Hi, confirmed and removed.

Offline Kick

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 12:21:47 PM »
Hi Asyn,

Cheers - everything is working smoothly now and I am more confident in how to use and manage my account.

Thanks and best regards.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 12:39:37 PM »
You're welcome. :)