Author Topic: Exit  (Read 7360 times)

Tsip

Exit
« on: January 19, 2004, 12:21:22 AM »
Is there a way to completely exit from avast  to free up some memory when i need it?Cause its a great prob to me, got a slow pc, whenever i want to do a hard task i need all the memory i can get, and i dont want to manually delete all avast services and then reboot in order for it to work. Thanks for any help

stevejrc

Re:Exit
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 12:29:27 AM »
Right click on avast icon and click "stop on-access protection and exit". I think that will free memory up? (but no protection then so dont go on the net or email etc). You can re-enable it without restarting.

Culpeper

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 02:00:23 AM »
How much memory do you have?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 03:03:39 AM »
Steve are fully right...
If you want you can disable the avast! services into Windows XP (and/or CTRL+ALT+DEL to finish avast! tasks both in XP or Windows 98).  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 04:01:19 AM »
How much memory do you have?
I would like to know as well
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Gwen

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 06:54:48 AM »
Amen! Avast can be temporarily disabled in a variety of its parts.  

Re: MEMORY
Time to buy some new memory.  There is no such thing as "too much" memory.  Especially if you are running Win XP! Upgrading your memory to 512 won't break your piggybank, really.  I did and what a difference it has made and this baby is running nearly 24/7 on DSL.  

John-

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 10:07:11 AM »
yeah my computer runs almost all day (max...a week non stop, without reboot) but my DSL disconnects every 1,5 days (dynamic IP)
No problems with Avast! so far,...not even concerning memory things

I do have 640 MB off SDram

computer => pIII, 600 Mhz - W2K Pro SP4 (pretty old,... :p)

I do not see why you should disable Avast!,...it hardly uses RAM memory (that is one of the main-things I like this software)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 02:52:09 PM »
 I had to upgrade my G5 to 8GB just to say I have that much ;D ;D ;D
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

John-

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 04:45:38 PM »
lol,...show off  :D - only kidding m8  ;)

Tsip

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2004, 06:13:06 PM »
Thnx for your replies...

Well i have got 192mb and its a laptop.....the thing is that even if you stop the processes the various services of the program still take up around 20mb, which i have to manually unload to free up memory, and then restart windows if i need them....it would be really nice if there would be a way to completely quit the programme and the services whenever you need it....

..not that an extra 128mb wouldnt be cool ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 06:15:40 PM by Tsip »

Culpeper

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2004, 07:18:13 PM »
Actually, the longer you use Avast the less memory it actually takes up in RAM.  I've been keeping a log.

http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1782;start=msg14550#msg14550

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2004, 07:31:46 PM »
Actually, the longer you use Avast the less memory it actually takes up in RAM.

I guess it's probably caused by the fact that the code that is never used on your machine (and got loaded into memory initially) slowly gets swapped out (as Windows use the memory for other applications).

Culpeper

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2004, 07:37:59 PM »
I think so as well and I'm not too concerned about the initial memory footprint Avast has at start up.  After all, it is probably the most important utility running on your machine.  I'm not going to argue about Avast's memory usage so I can have more memory to play solitaire or something.  When you run something like a defrag program or an Ad-Aware scan it is going to eat up all the memory anyway.  Memory is elastic.  Windows sets it own memory priorities.  It is designed to do that.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2004, 08:16:27 PM »
When you run something like a defrag program or an Ad-Aware scan it is going to eat up all the memory anyway.

Yeah! Nothing worse than a defrag or Ad-aware to 'eat' all your RAM  :(
The best things in life are free.

Culpeper

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2004, 08:47:38 PM »
 :D