Author Topic: AVAST DU Tagged as Virus  (Read 1454 times)

Offline _Andrei

AVAST DU Tagged as Virus
« on: February 25, 2020, 10:39:50 PM »
Still makes me wonder as to why the AVAST DU is being tagged as a Virus by other AV and also by Windows Defender. If I turn off the Smart Screen on Windows and disable other AV, I can install the Avast DU. Thoughts?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: AVAST DU Tagged as Virus
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 10:45:38 PM »
Still makes me wonder as to why the AVAST DU is being tagged as a Virus by other AV and also by Windows Defender.
Screenshot ?

and what is avast DU ?

Offline _Andrei

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 11:41:12 PM »
Sorry, I no longer have the Screenshot of it.

Was referring to Avast Driver Updater. I posted here since I wasn't able to see the correct forum link for it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 01:24:44 AM »
Still makes me wonder as to why the AVAST DU is being tagged as a Virus by other AV and also by Windows Defender. If I turn off the Smart Screen on Windows and disable other AV, I can install the Avast DU. Thoughts?

This is why having multiple security products installed can be an issue.  Updating a driver is (or can be) a fairly low level function, that could be considered suspect.  If you are updating a driver using the Avast Driver Updater then should know this is actually going on and or you had initiated it.

So there is a possibility that this was a false positive or PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program).
What you don't give is what these other security products say it was being detected ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline _Andrei

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 03:58:51 AM »
It shows on MBAM as PUP.Slimware. I don't have any problems updating the drivers using the Avast DU, the problem is the installer of the Avast DU itself.

Makes me think if other AV's and Windows Defender is blocking the installer then there's really something wrong with it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 10:07:50 AM »
It shows on MBAM as PUP.Slimware. I don't have any problems updating the drivers using the Avast DU, the problem is the installer of the Avast DU itself.

Makes me think if other AV's and Windows Defender is blocking the installer then there's really something wrong with it.

For me it certainly confirms my suspicion PUP or even FP.

See https://blog.malwarebytes.com/detections/pup-optional-driverupdate/ for more information on MBAMs detection PUP.Slimware.

If you have intentionally installed the Driver Updater and it id doing what it is intended to do, then effectively it isn't Unwanted.

Personally I have never been a fan of updating drivers unless there is a specific reason for it.  I can't recall the last time I did a driver update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security