Author Topic: Security Center doesn't recognize avast! 4.7 Pro as virus protection since today  (Read 9150 times)

Limetreebloom

I use Avast since a couple of months w/o this problem. But after I started my computer today the windows security center popped up with the message no virus protection installed. My version is up to date and all providers are running. What to do?  ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Answers for XP Security Center not detecting anti-virus program could be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883792 (the link was kindly found by David...).
The best things in life are free.

Limetreebloom

Thanks very much for your quick answer. But on this site I only found a possibility to deactivate the detection wheather my virusprotection is active. Why should I do this, when it worked fine yesterday. I did not change my system since yesterday.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Do you have any other antivirus (on-demmand) installed in your computer?
Did you run any Registry Cleaner?
Which firewall do you use?
The best things in life are free.

Barr_y

This is the same question I have been trying to solve for ages. The only way I can get it to recognize it, is by going into control Panel and just restart "Security Center" That is only a short term fix until the next day when you reboot again.

No one here understands the problem, because so far nobody has come up with an answer.

I have reported it and it just seems you will have to monitor Avast yourself.

This is a problem though and one that needs some kind of a fix either the Avast team find out what the problem is and maybe approach Microsoft for the fix itself.

Too many people are getting this error now. So something must cause it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 07:29:49 PM by Barr_y »

Limetreebloom

I have no other on demand scanners installed. My firewall is the Win XP SP2 firewall and probably the WLAN router inbuilt hardware firewall is doing sth. as well. In the meantime i tried so solve the problem by a complete de-installation and re-installation (with complete startup scan). This did not help. Alwil is listed on the microsoft page of the partners for virus detection on so I believe it must be a bug within the latest avast 4.7.871 (German) version not to get detected. I don't believe it's a really thread and unchecked the virusprotection check in the security center options. I hope help will be on the way.

@Barr_y: Thanks for your reply. It's good to know that I'm not alone :) The restart of the security center did not work for me. Do I have to terminate any process within the taskmanager before I restart it?

Spiritsongs

:)  Hi All :

Could it POSSIBLY be a "Windows Security Center"
      PROBLEM and NOT an Avast problem !? That's why I
      continuely call it "unreliable" and recommend you either
      turn it "Off" or "Disable" it .
      And Barr_y, I already gave you a link on the "Security
      Center" s flaw in its underlining programming; another
      good reason to "Stop" using it .

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Try this...

1. Uninstall avast!
2. Use this program: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O4H8HUQR
3. Install avast! again

Looks like something borked up in Security Center. Wouldn't be the first time really...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
If this works it will be great as the WSC can be a little flaky at times and most of the things we have tried in the past have had a limited success rate.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Barr_y

I followed the link that RejZoR gave but was unsure when I got there exactly what you have to download.

Also spiritsongs, honestly I have turned it off and just monitor it myself, but I just can't help reading everytime somebody posts this problem.

Limetreebloom I have also switched off "Windows Management Instrumentation" in services, then  restarted my computer and started it all again. Sometimes this will fix it but only for the day. That is why I used to just restart "Security Center" for a daily fix.

But as spiritsongs always says, turn it off completely and monitor it yourself. You never know the next Windows full version of Internet Explorer may fix things, or on the other hand it may make things worse, who knows.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman

It couldn't be any easier...

Barr_y

Actually I saw it was easy. This site has nothing but pop-ups on it that get through all my security settings. Then you have to wait some 45 seconds before you can download it in a zip file. There wasn't much explanation on the page to say what it really is.

Filename: SecurityCenterReset.zipFilesize: 393.71 KBDescription: Tool that can reset Security Center monitoring status

What else might it do?

Have you tried it for yourself RejZoR. If so perhaps you could post what really happens when you open the zipped file.  From a site that allows so much crap on it why should it be trusted?

For information

I thought I might just try this out before any reply to this post came. I downloaded the zipped file, scanned it with Avast and A2, no apparent problems.
I uninstalled Avast and Spyware Terminator, then run this so called fix for Security Center. I rebooted after getting a warnings like this. Failed to stop service. (#4, Line 17) (Whatever That is supposed to be) Once I rebooted installed and updated Avast and Terminator I had exactly the same problem as we, Limetreebloom and myself started off with.

So it looks like back to the old monitoring Avast myself again. Thanks for the try RejZoR

« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 11:46:25 AM by Barr_y »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
This tool is developed by me so it's safe for sure. Though it looks like something went wrong. Anyway i gave it a try. I wasn't sure if it would help or not but it doesn't hurt if you try right ;)

Oh, you'll probably come along such file sharing webpages more often.
They all work the same way. You have to enter keyword so you verify yourself as human and not a bot and then you have to wait few seconds till it starts downloading.

Barr_y

Ah see RejZoR a Little more information on postings and I might not have been so distrusting. Why didn't you say you developed the tool.

Although I un-installed Avast and Terminator and turned off my firewall, I didn't un-install my Win-Patrol.

Would that have caused the errors I received?

I know of other websites that cause pop-ups like that, CD Covers for instance, and  Free Covers.net I usually put up with them, although I am not thrilled they have to do that, especially when I make a donation.

Limetreebloom

I tried tool from RejZoR, but I got the same message as barr_y did. Could not stop service and could not remove folder. Maybe you can tell us which services should be stopped and which folder has to be deleted to make the reset manually. Have you ever tired the tool with Windows XP Service Pack 2?