Author Topic: Avast won't allow me to delete a closed word document  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Carol158

Avast won't allow me to delete a closed word document
« on: March 09, 2020, 05:03:52 AM »
I have one word document in a folder.  I cannot delete it.  It is closed.  I've checked in Task Manager and it is clearly not open. However I am told that it is in "in Avast" Whatever that actually means in unclear.  The document is a template that I had not typed anything additional onto.  I went into Avast and say little help in there, except I can see "shredder"  I get the same message that the document is open in Avast.  Ive tried using disk cleanup and have suspected thumbnail but none is showing in the folder.  How else can I remove this folder and document? Having it there in my main folder is confusing to my filing system as its name is a name I wish to re-use and I just want it deleted.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast won't allow me to delete a closed word document
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 07:22:04 AM »
Do you have avast with ransomware shield?

is it protected by ransomware shield  >>  https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Antivirus-Ransomware-Shield-FAQ

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast won't allow me to delete a closed word document
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 10:42:08 AM »
It would help if we knew the folder and the avast version that you are using ?

I too was thinking possibly ransomware shield.  That however, would be dependant on if you had a version of avast that included the paid ransomware component and if that location was protected by the ransomware shield.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security