Author Topic: Firefox Message: Issue Resolved  (Read 5454 times)

Offline Spiritual2016

Firefox Message: Issue Resolved
« on: March 11, 2020, 04:26:59 AM »
Windows 7 Home Premium on a Home Desktop
Avast Free Antivirus 20.1.2397
Firefox Version 74

Note: There are 'no' issues with my computer, browser, or anti-virus software.

In 'Firefox->Tools->Options->General,' a blue link message states 'Your Browser Is Being Managed By Your Organization.'-I would like to delete it *(unless doing so causes more problems than it solves).

When the link is clicked, a new tab opens with 'Enterprise Policies' stating:

'Policy Name': 'Certificates'
'Policy Value': 'ImportEnterpriseRoots'
'Value': 'True'

I checked Certificate Manager->Authorities and it states:

Certificate Name: Avast Web/Mail Shield Root
Security Device: Software Security Device

There are five options below the list but' Import' is the only option that is not greyed out.

I assume that Avast Web Shield has given itself access since I have not modified any settings manually.

I am aware that the reason for the policy is that Firefox uses certificates in the Windows system certificate store to verify the fake site certificates the Avast software creates-I have no problem with this.

Is the message merely a confirmation of this policy and can be ignored because Avast is doing its job OR does the registry entry have to be removed in order to remove the message? If it is the latter, I will not tamper with the Registry just to remove the message when deleting a key would affect a working feature of Avast Protection that is designed to protect browsers, especially since I still have 100% control over Firefox Settings.

The Firefox forum was unhelpful so the thread is posted here.

A 'clear' response only please-No links.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 06:44:00 AM by Spiritual2016 »

Offline senhordaguerra

mine appears the same thing does not need to enter the registry to remove the message

Offline Spiritual2016

How did you remove the message?

Offline senhordaguerra

they can only be removed by the registry. more useless, because every time you reinstall avast, it comes back. because avast manage SSL certificates for https

Offline Spiritual2016

I am not tampering with the registry so I will wait for someone else to reply.

Thanks anyway.

Offline senhordaguerra

you're welcome, my friend.
on google chrome it also does this, it serves to avoid fake sites.

Offline Spiritual2016

Can someone please help me out?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
That's normal, nothing to worry about.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Spiritual2016

Asyn:

What's normal and nothing to worry about? 

Are you saying that the specified message is supposed to be displayed since Avast Web Shield has given itself access and Avast is doing its job. Specifically, it confirms the policy that Firefox uses certificates in the Windows system certificate store to verify the fake site certificates the Avast software creates but I still have full control over Firefox. As a result, the registry should not be tampered with and the message should be left visible?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 05:59:37 AM by Spiritual2016 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
Is the message merely a confirmation of this policy and can be ignored because Avast is doing its jobhe registry should not be tampered with,
Yes, you can safely ignore it.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Spiritual2016

Asyn:

My previous message was unclear so I re-posted it:

Are you saying that the specified message is supposed to be displayed because Avast is doing its job by having the Web Shield give itself access? Specifically, the message confirms the policy that Firefox uses certificates in the Windows system certificate store to verify the fake site certificates that Avast software creates. Even with this access, I still have full control over Firefox. As a result, the registry should not be tampered with and the message should be left visible?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
Are you saying that the specified message is supposed to be displayed because Avast is doing its job by having the Web Shield give itself access?
Yes.

Offline Spiritual2016

Even with Web Shield giving itself access, am I correct that I still have full control over Firefox Settings?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 06:16:37 AM by Spiritual2016 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
Even with Web Shield giving its access, am I correct that I still have full control over Firefox?
Yes.

Offline Spiritual2016

Re: Firefox Message: Issue Resolved
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 06:17:07 AM »
*Even with Web Shield giving *itself access, am I correct that I still have full control over Firefox Settings?