Author Topic: When Windows starts a red circle stays for 1 minute..  (Read 58093 times)

Culpeper

Re: When Windows starts a red circle stays for 1 minute..
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2006, 02:41:36 AM »
Culperer, thanks for that, unfortunately, the file on the ftp site seems to have zero length. Could you please try to upload it once more?

Many thanks
Vlk

I keep getting a hangrep failure code 13 and it saves the file with zero length.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2006, 07:39:11 AM »
Hmm, if hangrep doesn't work, try using the command-line version http://public.avast.com/~vlk/userdump.exe . The syntax is

userdump.exe ashServ.exe c:\ashServ.dmp

(producing dump file in the root of C:\ drive) but I guess you have to be quick! ;) ;D
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Culpeper

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2006, 03:44:06 PM »
Hmm, if hangrep doesn't work, try using the command-line version http://public.avast.com/~vlk/userdump.exe . The syntax is

(producing dump file in the root of C:\ drive) but I guess you have to be quick! ;) ;D

Okay, I uploaded it again in .zip format.  Let me know if I didn't get to it quick enough.  I'll create a batch file or something to run userdump if I need to.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2006, 03:47:34 PM »
Thanks for the dump - no it seems to be working (readable).

However, it seems to me that the dump was taken after ashServ fully initialized - ie. it seems to be done with the initialization phase, and ready to scan...

Maybe you really weren't fast enough... ;)

Thanks
Vlk

Culpeper

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2006, 04:25:45 PM »
Thanks for the dump - no it seems to be working (readable).

However, it seems to me that the dump was taken after ashServ fully initialized - ie. it seems to be done with the initialization phase, and ready to scan...

Maybe you really weren't fast enough... ;)

Thanks
Vlk

I was afraid of that.  The command line was stalled for a few seconds before it completed the task.  Next, I'll try a simple batch file at start up.  I only have like less than 15 seconds to grab that dump file for you.  I'll give it another try tonight.  This morning's attempt was as I was rusing out the door. :o

trumpy81

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2006, 06:50:12 PM »
GDay All,

Culpeper, this may be a boot priority issue, where windows will start other services before/after the avast service, which in essence, stops avast from starting until other services have finished starting.

I have seen the behaviour you describe and I have usually corrected it by running Microsoft BootVis.

If all else fails, give it a try and let us know if it helps or not.

P.S. I have just now encountered the same problem under Vista RC1. This time though, I can't use BootVis to correct it. :(

Should I try to obtain a dump also and ftp it to you VLK ??

« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 08:29:21 PM by trumpy81 »

Culpeper

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2006, 09:32:42 PM »
vlk:

I know I got it this time before the red circle disappeared using a batch file to confirm the dump.  Let me know.  It's uploaded.

Trumpy:

I think in Vista you can create a dump file through the Task Manager by right clicking on the process and selecting create dump file.  I've read that somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 02:27:39 AM by Culpeper »

RicardoB

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2006, 02:09:15 AM »
I never used this dump thing, but I run it using the command:
while the red circle was there.

And it generated a 70MB file. Zipped, it goes to 27MB.

How do I analyse it?

Culpeper

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2006, 02:22:12 AM »
No problem.  First, add RicardoB to the Zip file name so Vlk will see it is your file.  In Explorer right click the Zip file and select copy.  Open a new browser window and go to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming  .  Then select Edit, Paste and it should upload it to the ftp for Vlk to examine.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 02:24:05 AM by Culpeper »

RicardoB

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2006, 02:44:38 AM »
Thank you Culpeper for the explanation.

Vlk, I uploaded the file "RicardoB_ashServ.zip", it was generated with userdump.exe during start process.

Can you analyse it for me, please?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 02:47:53 AM by RicardoB »

Culpeper

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2006, 03:37:42 AM »
vlk is one of the staff members of Alwil, the maker of Avast.  He'll get back with us on these dump files for any possible bugs.  Thanks for bringing this problem to our attention.  Please be patient. ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2006, 07:53:54 PM »
Hi guys, thanks again for the help. Unfortunately, it didn't work even this time... :(

Culperer's dump seems to be somehow corrupted (the debugger just refuses to load it, with no specific details); Ricardo's one seems to be valid, BUT is probably taken TOO EARLY -- that is, during the NORMAL initialization phase (normally, it takes a couple of seconds for the process to start up).

Please, guys, don't give up and try once more, maybe this time we'll be lucky! ;D

Thanks
Vlk

Culpeper

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2006, 09:49:29 PM »
Hi guys, thanks again for the help. Unfortunately, it didn't work even this time... :(

Culperer's dump seems to be somehow corrupted (the debugger just refuses to load it, with no specific details); Ricardo's one seems to be valid, BUT is probably taken TOO EARLY -- that is, during the NORMAL initialization phase (normally, it takes a couple of seconds for the process to start up).

Please, guys, don't give up and try once more, maybe this time we'll be lucky! ;D

Thanks
Vlk

I'll keep trying until it kills me.  Currently uploading Culpeper_0914*.zip

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2006, 11:13:37 PM »

Got the file, this time it's working - but it's very similar to Ricardo's one! Maybe this time, you were TOO fast...? I mean, how long after you captured this dump did it take for avast to start?

Thanks
Vlk

Culpeper

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2006, 01:30:44 AM »

Got the file, this time it's working - but it's very similar to Ricardo's one! Maybe this time, you were TOO fast...? I mean, how long after you captured this dump did it take for avast to start?

Thanks
Vlk

Well, this time I opened hangrep.exe and watched the window and the Avast icon until ashserv showed up in the hangrep window.  Then I ran the userdump .bat file to create the dump file.  It took about 5 seconds for userdump.exe to create and copy the ashserv.dmp file.  After that the red circle continued to appear on the Avast icon for about another 5 seconds before it went away.  So, doing the math it took about 5 seconds after the red circled Avast icon appeared in the system tray before ashserv.exe showed up in the hangrep window, another 5 seconds for userdump.exe to create and copy the dump file, and another 5 seconds before the red circle disappeared.  That comes to 15 seconds, which is the average amount of time the red circle is present on the icon.  If I try to create the dump file too soon using userdump.exe it will give a message that it is unable to locate ashserv.exe.  Let me know.