Author Topic: Adding new utilities, anything I should know ?  (Read 2665 times)

Happy-Dude

Adding new utilities, anything I should know ?
« on: September 02, 2006, 07:54:23 PM »
Heya guys, I'm adding a couple of new utilities to my system, and I was just wondering if there is anything I should know.

I'm adding:

- A-Squared Free and Ewido anti-spyware (trial and free) to run along with my Spybot, Ad-Aware, and SpywareBlaster

- Switching from ZoneAlarm to Comodo Firewall

Is there anything I should know about them once I use them ?

-P.S.-
I installed Ewido into my sister's computer yesterday while I was doing a system check-up for her (she had trojans ... >_<). While I was trying to do a full system scan, Ewido would just shut off, even the resident scanner. Anything I can do about that ?

CharleyO

Re: Adding new utilities, anything I should know ?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 07:25:49 AM »

If I remember correctly, Ewido works best with 2000 & XP while a-squared works best with the older OS's.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 03:49:19 PM »
If I remember correctly, Ewido works best with 2000 & XP while a-squared works best with the older OS's.
Now a-squared is working perfectly with any OS. This handicap is not there anymore.
avast,a-squared, ewido, spybot, ad-aware, spywareblaster, Comodo Firewall: no conflicts  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 03:51:48 PM »
@ CharleyO
It isn't that ewido works best with, it doesn't work with win9x or winME, a-squared is compatible with win9x through winXP, etc. so provided you have XP you could use either ewido or a-squared.

Quote from: Happy-Dude
While I was trying to do a full system scan, Ewido would just shut off, even the resident scanner. Anything I can do about that ?

What program were you doing a full scan with ?
Running a scan with another resident scanner running can cause issues although avast and ewido are relatively well behaved. I always pause avast's standard shield when doing a scan with another security program, the same would be true if I did it the other way, avast on-demand scan, pause ewido resident scanner. If for no other reason it will avoid any possible conflict and reduce any duplication of scan as every tine one scanner opens a file the other is likely to want to scan it also.

I would suggest a reboot then try running the same things (and record what you did) to see if you can replicate the fault, if so the record you made could help as there is insufficient information for anything other than a guess as I did above.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 07:30:36 PM »
Hi folks,

The a-squared system works can be too heavy a load for the old win98 or ME obsolete versions. The standard free version is more for this.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!