Author Topic: WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?  (Read 3016 times)

ronnell

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
« on: August 31, 2006, 01:38:38 AM »
I M doing something wrong so I'm coming to the forum for help. I click on the blue ball with the"a" down by the clock, that Grey window comes up with the big play button on the left side. I click the archive files on because that handles every thing right? Anyway everytime I get that there are 0 infections but when I run my ad-aware SE scan right afterwards I came up with 11 objects to be deleted, so what am I doing wrong? This is the third time I ran the scan and three times I keep getting zero infected. I must not be doing something right, what? Please, will someone explain how I use this because I have 40 days and then it expires then I believe I can have the home edition for free am I right or do I have it messed up?

Spiritsongs

Re: WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 01:50:44 AM »
 :)  Hi :

Avast is an antiVIRUS program whereas Ad-Aware is an
     antiSPYWARE program; they look for and detect
     DIFFERENT "Items". I am fairly knowledgeable concerning
     Ad-Aware, so what "category" are those 11 "Objects" ?
     If they are only "tracking cookies" and/or "Alexa", they
     are relatively harmless and safe to "Delete" directly
     rather than placong them in "quarantine".
     What does the "Hosts File scan" of the Ad-Aware logfile
     say ?

ronnell

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 02:21:42 AM »
I have no problem running Ad-aware what I want to know is how to use avast. How to understand what to delete.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 02:57:06 AM »
AdAware and avast are two entirely different beasts and do different things, avast isn't interested in cookies, etc.
avast! is primarily an anti-virus and whilst you might not have any viruses adaware could pick up non-virus cookies, stuff to deliver adverts, etc. that avast isn't going to detect.

Having opened the simple user interface, the grey window (the Simple User Interface) with the big play (start) button.

You need to select Local Disks to be able to have selected scan archive files, you also have different Scanner sensitivity settings, Quick (slider to the left), Standard (slider in the centre) and Through (slider to the right). Thorough as the name suggests is very through and can take an extremely long time. The best setting I feel is a Standard scan without archives, this gives a good balance between performance and protection.

Archive (zip, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's Standard Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned. Thorough is also by its design very thorough and perhaps a little overkill for routine use, were a Standard scan without archives should be adequate.

I have only ever done a through scan with archives once shortly after installation just to ensure a clean start state, but with XP for example avast will do a boot-time scan after installation if you select it, this I believe will be quicker and reasonably effective. Like everything in life things are a compromise.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security