Author Topic: restoring quarantined files after uninstalling the program?  (Read 2917 times)

Offline sovvie

restoring quarantined files after uninstalling the program?
« on: March 22, 2020, 02:36:46 PM »
Hello!
Recently avast detected a threat in my game starter file (the game itself was a crack, although other users told me they have never experienced the files to be infected) and moved it to quarantine. Playing this game quite often I was worried it would crash my save files and whatnot, so I wanted to fix the file infected rather than deleting it. The free version wouldn't do it so I bought another program that demanded avast to be uninstalled prior to its installation. Being the fool that I was, I agreed to it and now the avast files seem to be wiped out. I cannot find the game starter file or the quarantine folder and I'm worried it might be gone forever. Can I somehow still restore it? I wanted to run safety test on it with my new program :(

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: restoring quarantined files after uninstalling the program?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 02:44:26 PM »
The free version wouldn't do it so I bought another program that demanded avast to be uninstalled prior to its installation.
When you uninstall all files including whats inside quarantine are gone

so I wanted to fix the file infected rather than deleting it.
And how do you want to fix it?

you can upload and check files here  www.virustotal.com

Offline sovvie

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 02:48:21 PM »
No clue on the how part, I figured the antivirus program would be able to tell me whether I can actually fix the file or not. I wanted to ask before attempting re-installing the game!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 02:54:45 PM »
The only files that can be fixed is system files injected with malicious code (removing the malicious code) from a real virus that are rare today

A file made as malicious can not be cleaned/fixed as the hole file containe malicious code
Also any file downloaded from the net can always be downloaded again

Recently avast detected a threat in my game starter file
What did avast say? ...  malware name given

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 02:56:35 PM by Pondus »

Offline sovvie

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 03:00:33 PM »
Thank you for that information!
I do realize I can download the file again, but it's the installing process I dread as only one file is missing among many, many others and I would love to avoid ruining those which stayed and keeping my save files. I will try though, doing a backup on a pendrive maybe. Also, I have been playing that crack for a couple of months now and it only recently showed up as infected. Could it be a false alarm from the antivirus, or not really?
Avast mentioned something about some malware, but I do not remember what it was exactly.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 03:08:14 PM »
Could it be a false alarm from the antivirus, or not really?
False Positives do happen

Avast mentioned something about some malware, but I do not remember what it was exactly.
Important info when posting .... screenshots are very good help