Author Topic: Avast 14.3 Crashes macOS Catalina 10.15.3  (Read 2885 times)

Offline raredesign

Avast 14.3 Crashes macOS Catalina 10.15.3
« on: March 24, 2020, 02:35:32 PM »
I have the latest build of Catalina and recently installed Avast. It now crashes every evening with a Kernel panic, so before uninstalling this, I thought I'd ask if it was a known issue the team was working on.

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: Avast 14.3 Crashes macOS Catalina 10.15.3
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 09:49:04 AM »
Hello,

this is the first time in years someone is reporting panics due to Avast AV. Please can you send us support package (https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Submit-Mac-Security-support-file) and mention this post in the comments section? I will look at the panics.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline raredesign

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 02:03:46 PM »
Hello,

this is the first time in years someone is reporting panics due to Avast AV. Please can you send us support package (https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Submit-Mac-Security-support-file) and mention this post in the comments section? I will look at the panics.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Yes, I will thank you. I'll reinstall in a few and send it. I have further information now. This panic occurred on a 2015 27" 5K Core i7 iMac with 64GB's RAM, but I also have a pair of USB drives connected in RAID. I've run that for years, but now that I have run Avast on my new 2019 Macbook Pro 16", it has not crashed at all on the laptop. I'm curious if the RAID is the issue. Is there a way to stop periodic scanning of the external drives?

Offline raredesign

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 02:49:52 AM »
Hello,

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Hello again. I just reinstalled AVAST and submitted the support package. I had forgotten to reference the post in it, but I did explain everything again in the detail section.
Additionally, when I installed AVAST this time, I paid notice to a message that prompted.
Legacy System Extension
Existing software on your system loaded a system extension signed by "AVAST Software a.s." which will be incompatible with a future version of macOS. Contact the developer for support.

I then noticed that the two kernel extensions mentioned on your support page for install, were actually not listed in the system security settings, so I could obviously not grant them access.
I find it suspicious that the extensions needed are kernel extensions, and are not listed, and the issue I have is a kernel panic.
Perhaps Apple has made a platform change sooner than expected resulting in this issue.

Additionally, as I mentioned prior, my 2019 16" MacBook Pro runs AVAST without issue, however, it too does not have the kernel extensions listed in the system security settings.

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 02:11:16 PM »
Hello,

the popup about kernel extensions being deprecated should have no impact on the functionality. With Catalina, Apple introduced new frameworks to replace kext, with the understanding that with MacOS 10.16 kexts probably won't be supported. With Catalina 10.15.4 they have switched on an "annoyance popup" to force app vendors to speed up the transition.

Regarding allowing kernel extensions to run, the decision is stored across uninstall/reinstall; as long as File Shield and Web Shield are running normally, all is fine.

Regarding the crashes: when Mac system crashes, a panic report file is generated after it starts again. The support package you have sent to us does not contain any kernel panic report files, although it attempts to gather them (but maybe there is some problem with the gathering process on Catalina).
Please can you run the Terminal app and in it run following command
Code: [Select]
find /Library/Logs/ -name *.panic the command will print list of file paths (if any exist); please attach these panic report files to a mail and send them to ondrej.kolacek@avast.com . Without these reports, I have no way how to check what is going on.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 02:13:31 PM by ondrej.kolacek »