Author Topic: "Threat Block" Notification  (Read 473 times)

Offline henripoison

"Threat Block" Notification
« on: April 09, 2024, 08:27:14 PM »
Hi! What should I do to stop the "Threat Block" notifications as I find them annoying. I have done some search and read everywhere I just have to choose the SILENT MODE which I had already done. However, as per attached screenshot, notifications of "threat block" still persist.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: "Threat Block" Notification
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2024, 09:28:25 PM »
Shooting the messenger isn't really a way to go, e.g. Silent Mode. 

These are alerts made by the Web Shield (made silent by your settings), so you don't know what the Web Shield is alerting for/on.  It has prevented a connection to a site the browser/site has tried to connect to.

Because of the Silent Mode you don't see the actual Alert Screen, but the information is recorded in the Notifications.  This alert screen provides a lot of information, e.g. what has tried to make the connection and the URL of the detection. 

Without this kind of information it is almost impossible to offer advice other than switch off silent mode, so if it reoccurs you have information to give.
Which would be, a screen shot of the Avast Alert with the Details option selected and attached to the post.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline henripoison

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024, 10:15:45 PM »
Thanks a lot.

As per suggestion, what I did was to deactivate the SILENT MODE. Afterwards, I visited the same page where I initially got the "threat blocked" notification mentioned on my previous post. Then I clicked on the page and got the information you can read on the attached screenshot.

I hope this will give you the opportunity to guide me on how to remove the annoying "threat blocked" notifications.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024, 10:51:12 PM »
Is the page the same URL in the screenshot rdreamsansw.info - were you trying to connect to this site ?

The huge string of random looking characters after the URL is general tracking information.

Some other hits on this site URL - https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/c3193a2ef3569f4bf10c0dc6743d13df8181728fba363933a25767b92af7faf4?nocache=1
Considered a medium security risk here - https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/rdreamsansw.info
Some security issues reported here - https://en.internet.nl/site/rdreamsansw.info/2728486/

A google search on this domain doesn't return much (which in itself is strange) and one a site that does phishing checks caused Avast to alert, just because there was a link to that site in the phishing check.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2024, 02:06:26 AM »
Posting live links to suspect sites isn't advisable, it puts others at risk and could help their promotion by search bots that trawl sites.

Only post the URL element without the https part, as I did when I referred it or modify it to hXXps://rdreamsansw.info and avoid accidental exposure to suspect sites, thanks.

The images also give the information so link and what is essentially tracking information in the link.

You still haven't answered the question "- were you trying to connect to this site ?"

- Were you intending to visit the site ?
If not start by clearing your browser cache and cookies, including 3rd party cookies and restart your browser.
If that resolves it you should be good to go.
If it doesn't try running your browser with add-ons disabled.

If that resolves it, have you added or updated any add-ons ?
If so try disabling that add-on - and restart and try again.

If still not resolved and you are using Chrome based browser (which I believe Opera is) - try this suggest by Avast Team member 'lukor'
What about page notifications? Here: chrome://settings/content/notifications ? Do you have all cleared?

Offline henripoison

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2024, 02:22:12 AM »
Hello! I will delve into recommendations later today. Sorry for having post the URL as I did. If you are a moderator with full permission, please feel free to delete my post with the wrongly quoted HTTPPS address.

To answer your question: NO. I was not trying to visit the site «rdreamsansw.info». I was on a website «freebookspot.pro» I was prompted while trying to find the details of a book. To be honest, I am not sure if «freebookspot.pro» is legal or not, but that's not the point of my queries. My feeling is that «rdreamsansw.info» is somehow linked to «freebookspot.pro» so that whenever we click on any page it tries to take us to  «rdreamsansw.info», but AVAST is blocking it.

Let me say that I am very happy with AVAST for having done it as it prevents me from getting viruses and malware. What bothers me is why AVAST has to keep notifying me (a blue dot on AVAST icon) every time they block an URL. I rather prefer they send the details of the blockage to a folder (like a sort of quarantine) where I could access from time to time to erase all notifications accumulated.

Regards

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2024, 12:58:59 PM »
I don't get a Blue spot over the Avast icon when a link is blocked, see attached image.  I'm not certain if this was a throw back to having set to Silent mode, though I would have expected that to go when switched it off.

The screenshots you posted in your first post are from the Notification area and I believe that blue spot is that you have notifications.

I'm Using Avast Free for Windows, though I don't know what Avast program you are using ?
Though you have posted in the 'Avast Mac Security' sub forum. The Alert screenshots look like the Avast Antivirus for Windows.

Quarantine is essentially for physical files on the system that avast isolates (Quarantines).

Offline henripoison

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2024, 07:56:15 PM »
Thank you for your comment. As far as I am concerned, please treat my query as closed and solved even if I had to circumvent Avast to deal with the problem. In short, I found another way to deal with malicious pop ups without uninstalling AVAST and without getting any notifications at all of any type.

SOLUTION: I simply installed a "pop up blocker" extension to Opera which blocks the malicious pop ups so fast that it appears it does not give time to AVAST to activate its "threat block" function. Then I disabled the Opera notifications for the pop up blocker. That's it! No more fuss and now I can browse any sites smoothly without any notifications from AVAST.

PERSONAL FEEDBACK: I am convinced these annoying notifications are a MINUS for Avast. On the one hand, Avast sends a notification every time they block a threat (supposedly for treating the blocked site as containing malware or virus). On the other hand, Avast actually allows that the blocked page could be opened. Granted, the page itself doesn't actually upload its content, but for me it is still annoying even if what is written on the opened page is an error page.

Thank you very much for commenting and trying to help!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2024, 08:28:40 PM »
You're welcome.