Author Topic: Avast Cleanup deleted files urgent help needed!  (Read 71958 times)

Offline yanikdote

Avast Cleanup deleted files urgent help needed!
« on: April 02, 2020, 04:14:15 AM »
I know this topic has been approached before, although I'm having a very strange case that I haven't seen answered in previous forum posts. I have a Windows 2009 computer, and it was recently slowing down considerably. Due to this I downloaded a free trial for the Avast cleanup - to get rid of junk files that were taking up memory. However, upon running the program and restarting my computer, now Microsoft Word, google chrome, internet explorer: all of my most important programs, won't even run! I put in the old Microsoft Office CD download, but installation wizard isn't even popping up. My computer keeps loading a Windows screen asking me to run/save iexplorer.exe (internet explorer) and chrome.exe (google chrome) whenever I click on their icons, but once I click "run" the screen flashes away, and nothing happens, and none of the files run. When I downloaded the Avast cleanup, it said it could "put files asleep/wake them up when you need them" but I can't seem to find the option to reactivate them. At this point, I'm almost ready to see if there's any way to get this entirely undone! If this post has been answered before in the forums, or if there's a more direct way to get technical support, any links guiding me to those would be much appreciated.

Offline yanikdote

Re: Avast Cleanup deleted files urgent help needed!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 04:26:50 AM »
A few more points: Avast cleanup itself won't load, I get the same "run/save" option, and as soon as i click either, the program opens in a new window, and then immediately terminates itself

I've also tried typing in C:\Program Files (x86)\AVAST Software\Avast Cleanup\tulogcollector.exe

I've found the file, but as soon as I click on it, I get the same "run/save" option, and sure enough it doesn't open up.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 12:52:14 PM »
Hi,

we really apologize for the inconveniences you've experienced while using our product.

Here is a tip from Microsoft forum what you could try to fix your issue: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-windows_7/iexploreexe-keeps-trying-to-open/70988be1-e1d7-46af-ac37-071c789d4c37?auth=1.
Also please try to open Registry Editor and look for the following registries on your machine: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options where you should find registry entries associated with all of you installed programs.
If you will find there a "sub-entry" under a particular program registry like the one on the attached screenshot, these are typically created by our product for apps which were put to sleep.
You can safely delete the "sub-entry" and then restart the PC and it shall revert the changes you have made in "Background & startup programs" feature.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Thank you.

Offline papinianos

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 03:54:36 AM »
I don't believe that this STILL l happening with your software after TWO MONTHS !!!!!

I almost had a heart attack and lost 4 hours to find the solution.

Thank God that i haven't done any drastic solutions like restore and loose a lot of my data.

I came here to complain and found this post.

You shouldn't be very proud of yourselves selling this kind of software to customers. And i'm extremely polite.   

Offline tcook

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 10:16:37 AM »
I know this sounds stupid but I am not the greatest techie in the world. How do I find my Registry Editor? This is a complete disaster. I cannot get anyone at Avast to answer my questions. I need help and I am not getting it from a programme that was meant to help me!

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 10:40:14 AM »
I know this sounds stupid but I am not the greatest techie in the world. How do I find my Registry Editor? This is a complete disaster. I cannot get anyone at Avast to answer my questions. I need help and I am not getting it from a programme that was meant to help me!

Hi,
Please see this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027573/windows-10-open-registry-editor

Offline pbhroch

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 03:57:29 PM »
Tohle nefunguje, mám Avast, který je mimo jiné placený, odinstalovat?????

Offline Anceriz

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 03:58:07 PM »
WTF is avast doing. You have destroyed my registry on 3 windows machines with all my registries being infected with "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG TuneUp\autoreactivator.exe" under debugger for all programs installed.

How is this software at this point any different than a virus?

I expect Avast to take accountability and offer a fix, update this software so it doesn't happen again after we fix and try to reinstall our softwares, unless they are lost to us, and offer all clients at least 6 months free on their purchase of what use to be a reputable software to make amends.

Completely unacceptable...

Also, These forum captchas are unreadable....

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 04:36:50 PM »
Hello everyone,

Again we really apologize for this situation, it was caused by a bug in the update we've released yesterday.

We already have a fix which we are verifying right now and we will release it as an update later today.
The update will fix everything so you should be again able to use the programs you previously put to sleep without any limitations.

Please bear with us, we are trying to get it fixed as soon as possible and won't stop until this whole situation will be resolved.

Thank you for understanding.

Offline sampugh1990

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 07:59:19 PM »
Hello admin, Can you update us on this issue? it is VERY inconvenient. There was an update at 18.55 but i am still having the same issue.

Offline rainer59

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 10:47:24 PM »
Hi,

we really apologize for the inconveniences you've experienced while using our product.

Here is a tip from Microsoft forum what you could try to fix your issue: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-windows_7/iexploreexe-keeps-trying-to-open/70988be1-e1d7-46af-ac37-071c789d4c37?auth=1.
Also please try to open Registry Editor and look for the following registries on your machine: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options where you should find registry entries associated with all of you installed programs.
If you will find there a "sub-entry" under a particular program registry like the one on the attached screenshot, these are typically created by our product for apps which were put to sleep.
You can safely delete the "sub-entry" and then restart the PC and it shall revert the changes you have made in "Background & startup programs" feature.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Thank you.

Wow, Avast! Are you shitting me? I spent a whole day going around in circles doing recoveries, trying different fixes, everything related to MS Office and Windows10. I came across this thread because of a post in the MS Community that Avast could be a problem. I tried the fix above and it worked. But it should NEVER happen with an expensive paid product like Avast. No renewing option for me.

P.S. And as someone else mentioned, who the hell can read the captcha symbols!

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 11:44:55 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am sorry that it took so long but the fixed version is finally here!

If you don't want to wait for the automatic update, please download the installation package here: https://honzik.avcdn.net/setup/avast-tu/release/avast_cleanup_online_setup.exe and reinstall the product manually to get the latest available version including the fix.

We've tested all the affected scenarios and everything shall get back to the original state after the update/reinstall to the latest version.

We sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences.
Please let us know how it works for you.

Best regards,
Avast team.

Offline Skeefiez11

Would appreciate some assistance asap.  I have been running Outlook 2010 on my Win10 PC for several years.  For some unknown reason, my whole Office 2010 suite was deleted from my user account (I am the admin and did not delete anything). Regardless, luckily I DO still have my Outlook data file (.pst) saved off both on my PC as well as on a external drive. 

However I also cannot run ANY office product (outlook, word, excel, etc) as well as Microsoft Edge!

It shows the shortcut however the link is broken (as is all the office 2010 apps and also Microsoft Edge!!): See attachments!

I tried a system restore to 6/5 but it failed (never had that happen before)  :(

I even re-installed edge but still got that same error message above :( even though it seems like it is in Program Files (x86).  I also looked in Program Files (x86)>> Microsoft Office >> Office14 and do see the apps there like word, excel, powerpoint, etc..  - see other attachments

Apparently the issue was caused by Avast!!  >:(  I read on the Microsoft community board that a quick fix was to do the following:

1. open run  (Windows key + r)
2. type regedit
3. navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Option
4. delete the folders of the apps that don`t work

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/windows-cannot-find-cprogram-filesmicrosoft/963fdedb-71d9-4f2e-b8c2-561b8767b012

I have Avast Premium Security and this does not make me feel too happy!  When will a fix for this come out?!?   I lost 7 hours today trying to figure this out  :(

Please advise

Thank you

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
Would appreciate some assistance asap.  I have been running Outlook 2010 on my Win10 PC for several years.  For some unknown reason, my whole Office 2010 suite was deleted from my user account (I am the admin and did not delete anything). Regardless, luckily I DO still have my Outlook data file (.pst) saved off both on my PC as well as on a external drive. 

However I also cannot run ANY office product (outlook, word, excel, etc) as well as Microsoft Edge!

It shows the shortcut however the link is broken (as is all the office 2010 apps and also Microsoft Edge!!): See attachments!

I tried a system restore to 6/5 but it failed (never had that happen before)  :(

I even re-installed edge but still got that same error message above :( even though it seems like it is in Program Files (x86).  I also looked in Program Files (x86)>> Microsoft Office >> Office14 and do see the apps there like word, excel, powerpoint, etc..  - see other attachments

Apparently the issue was caused by Avast!!  >:(  I read on the Microsoft community board that a quick fix was to do the following:

1. open run  (Windows key + r)
2. type regedit
3. navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Option
4. delete the folders of the apps that don`t work

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/windows-cannot-find-cprogram-filesmicrosoft/963fdedb-71d9-4f2e-b8c2-561b8767b012

I have Avast Premium Security and this does not make me feel too happy!  When will a fix for this come out?!?   I lost 7 hours today trying to figure this out  :(

Please advise

Thank you

Hello,

I am really sorry for all the inconveniences however there is already a fixed version available - see my previous post.

If you don't want to wait for the automatic update, please download the installation package here: https://honzik.avcdn.net/setup/avast-tu/release/avast_cleanup_online_setup.exe and reinstall the product manually to get the latest available version including the fix.

Thank you.

Offline Skeefiez11

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 12:12:23 AM »
Hello,

I am really sorry for all the inconveniences however there is already a fixed version available - see my previous post.

Thank you.

ok thanks..  I will wait for the auto update as I dont feel like spending time re-installing my product as I wasted many hours today along with a mild panic attack  :(

When will the auto update come out?

Thank you