Author Topic: Avast can't scan a file  (Read 3691 times)

getbent

Avast can't scan a file
« on: September 04, 2006, 11:30:46 PM »
When I do a full scan on my system avast scans fine bet then comes up with a note saying it can't scan a file the file is - c:\windows\system32\HHACTIVEX.Dll
is this a problem? I am also running AVG when I scan with it there is no viruses found, I also am running Ad-Aware SE when I scan with that it freezes on file - Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs...
but the objects scanned # is always diffrent with each scan. I have tried system restore I pick a date to restore, my computer goes threw the steps, shut down, restore, restart, but when it restarts it tells me id's unable to restore to that date I have tried numerous dated with no luck any help would be great.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast can't scan a file
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 12:00:16 AM »
Firstly running two resident AVs isn't advised as they could fight like dogs (if the detect a virus that they both recognise) as they fight for control and rather than provide twice the protection may leave you more vulnerable.

What was the reason given for not being able to scan the HHACTIVEX.Dll  file ?
Files in use often can't be scanned.

Does any of the information here look familiar as the HHActiveX.dll file could be part of a protection manager program http://www.winternals.com/Support/ProtectionManager1.0/Faq.aspx
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

getbent

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 02:56:05 AM »
I rescanned with all other programs turned off and same thing can't ead the file results were -

Unable to scan:the system can not read from the specified device

I don't know what this meens

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 03:32:03 AM »
I rescanned with all other programs turned off and same thing
Well, sometimes disabling is not enough...
AVG version 7 is not fully compatible with avast. Not in my personal experience.
Sooner or later: problems.

Unable to scan:the system can not read from the specified device
Do you have Unlocker in your system? If so, which process is using this file?
Did you try avast scanning at boot time?
The best things in life are free.

getbent

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 03:42:36 AM »
what is unlocker? I haven't tried running at boot, I'm currently running in safe mode to see what happens. I have tried doing system restore and every time it reboots and comes back on it tells me unable to restore to that date, I've tried several diffrent dates and no luck, could this be something?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 04:11:22 AM »
what is unlocker?
Google is your friend  ;D
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

I haven't tried running at boot, I'm currently running in safe mode to see what happens.
Well, boot time is safer and you should have fully access  8)

I have tried doing system restore and every time it reboots and comes back on it tells me unable to restore to that date, I've tried several diffrent dates and no luck, could this be something?
Maybe yes, maybe not... System restore is one of the most *buggy* features of Windows in my opinion... Its behavior is erratic  :P
The best things in life are free.