Author Topic: Error: Virus definitions are not up to date (Release date was invalid date)  (Read 6007 times)

Offline BootLoader

Avast Free Antivirus can not update its virus definition from yesterday
Error message is Virus definitions are not up to date (Release date was invalid date)

Note:- My PC date is correct & sync with an internet time server (time.windows.com). I have performed the avast repair method but problem is same

Please investigate the issue & fix it ASAP.
Thank You.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 04:49:31 PM by Bishnusakha »
Win10 Pro x64 22H2/ Core i3-10105 3.7GHz/ 8GB DDR4/ 120GB SSD/ 1TB HDD/ avast! Free Antivirus Latest.

Offline Stephen373

• Eating green soup & blue string pudding.
Hello.

Did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on my PC, including any Windows Updates.

Installed my Avast Premium Security and got the same error as you.

Tried a repair followed by a restart but still got the error.

Yet another issue with the recently released build.

Offline Stephen373

Done yet another Windows 10 Pro clean install.

Detected an error with one of the two graphic cards, which I corrected.

Then installed Avast Premium Security and this time all went okay.

Offline BootLoader

Today virus definition updated automatically.

Now showing 'Virus definitions are up to date'.

But 'Release date was invalid date' message still present.
Win10 Pro x64 22H2/ Core i3-10105 3.7GHz/ 8GB DDR4/ 120GB SSD/ 1TB HDD/ avast! Free Antivirus Latest.

Offline gheth54

I've been having the same issue with Avast for the last week or so. I've done all the described fixes of "Repair" and "Rebooting" but I still get "Release date was invalid date" message on both updates.

To be honest, as a VERY long Avast user (remember when Avast had the funny GUI!) I've about "had it". Avast seems to be mirroring the Google model of starting out as a small responsive company that grew into a huge company that's now slow, unresponsive, with quality issues and more interested in profits. I have to add I'm still troubled by the "spyware" scandal, which also smells of Google!
(End of Rant!)

So, if the fix is to do a clean install, maybe its time to go looking for a new product.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
It appeared here like my definition updates were hung after the program update, even after the customary 2 Windows restarts (belt and braces).

@gheth54
Have you tried doing a manual Update via the UI?
Menu>Settings>Update>

Since I did that, my definition updates now seem back to arriving automatically,
But that may just be a coincidence.

Offline Michael529

I think that there is a problem here. I have the 1.0.505 GUI.

In Menu>Settings>Update I'm getting the message "Virus definitions are not up to date" and it is reporting that the time and date of the last update was 8 April 2020 at 16:36 (ver 200407-0). As I write, that is only about 20 minutes ago so the message seems wrong. The message wasn't there earlier. I never saw this message with the previous GUI. I also got a similar message about this time yesterday afternoon.

Looking at the defs on my disc, I see *.bin files are still arriving with time stamps later than 16:36 which the GUI isn't taking into account in its display.

I cleared the message in the GUI with a manual update of the definitions and that moved me on to ver 200408-04. Whether that was a planned update to the definitions I cannot say.

Offline gheth54

Yes, I've done a manual update for both machines running Avast. Both acted like they updated the definitions, but on finishing still display the "Release date was invalid date" on the update page.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
I cleared the message in the GUI with a manual update of the definitions and that moved me on to ver 200408-04. Whether that was a planned update to the definitions I cannot say.
ver 200408-04 Release date 9 April 12:11 is what I currently have for definitions. Seems to be updating automatically OK.
That is with  UI 1.0.505.

Offline Michael529

Thank you: yes, it is updating OK here too.

Mine is an odd error message - one has to go looking for it, as it doesn't (here at least) trigger a notification - and I wonder if the GUI gets confused when thinking of going from one day's sequence of definitions to the next. Yesterday, when I saw the message, I was on 200407-0 and (possibly) the system wanted to go to 200408-04.

I think that, if I see the message again today, I will leave it and see what happens next time I restart the PC.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Hi,

Concerning the issue "Release date is/was invalid date) -  the Devs are aware of this and are working on a fix.

Offline Michael529

Concerning the issue "Release date is/was invalid date) -  the Devs are aware of this and are working on a fix.

Thank you

Offline Stephen373

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

Are the definitions getting pushed and downloaded correctly, but the information is not updated correctly?

Offline BootLoader

Hi,

Thank You. Hope this will fix in next program update.